HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
worried

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

worried

Hello Doctor,

I know my situation sounds very irrational but I would really need your opinion so that I can put my mind at rest. Few days ago I was at the STD clinic and had an HIV test (negative). Approximately 3 hours after leaving the clinic I popped a pimple on my face with the same hand that I used to open doorknobs at the clinic. I didnt wash my hands before popping the pimple. What worries me the most is that a lot of blood came out of the pimple (open cut) and that maybe there was some infected fluid (possibly blood) left on my hands from the clinic. I would like to know if there was any chance that HIV transmission occurred in that situation.

Thanks a lot for you answer.

Welcome to the Forum.  I suspect your question is not irrational but represents a mis-understanding of how HIV is transmitted.  HIV is transmitted in adults ONLY through genital or ano-genital sexual contact or injection of infected material deep into tissue.  The infection is not transmitted on inanimate objects (door knobs, eating utensils, glasses, etc.), by casual contact (shaking hands, even if there are sores or cuts on either or both persons' hands), or through contamination of surface cuts or lesions such a pimples when they are pinched.  There is no need whatsoever for concern or testing.  

Take care.  EWH
Dear Doctor, I have another rather silly question but I promise its going to be my last one. The pimple I pinched was a bit on the side of my nose, parallel with my eyes. The area near the pimple I pinched seems to be kinda green. Is it possible that I pinched the pimple on the vein and cut is therefore not a "surface" cut but a "deep tissue" cut?

I hope you understand my question and sorry for my bad English. Thank you.
No, Pimples are not in any way related to blood vessels and the pimple you pinched in NO WAY represents access to deep tissue.  EWH
Thanks Doctor, I really appreciate your quick answers and I feel honored that an expert like you answered my questions. Have a nice day.
Hello Doctor, Im really sorry for another follow up question (and breaking the promise). I know you told me that pimples are not related to blood vessels, but the pimple I pinched was blood filled pimple and I read that " trauma ruptures the underlying blood vessels, causing the pimple to pool with blood and lymph fluid". Although I have to say that blood came out only when pinched it and it didnt keep oozing out after that. Do you still think that my situation was no risk despite the pimple being "blood pimple"?

Thank you.
LAst answer- still no risk.  Please relax. EWH