Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Brain Scarring - Cause for Concern?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Brain Scarring - Cause for Concern?

Hi everyone,
I'm worrying myself sick over this, and I posted previously but in a different forum, and I think this forum would be better suited for such a question. I see a lot of people getting very helpful I was attacked in a parking lot from behind about 5 hours ago, and sustained a concussion from the incident. I have no lasting effects to my knowledge from the incident, other than obvious sensitivity to that area of my head in which it occurred. Sometimes the scar appears a bit sore as well.

An MRI done in April of this year (it was just a routine follow up) showed brain scarring. My neurologist asked me if I ever had any major head injuries, and I explained to him what happened. He said it must have been one major blow to show up on an MRI, and he said there might have also been bleeding on the brain when it occurred. Everything is apparently fine now, and he stated it apparently happened to a part of the brain that doesn't involve talking, memory, etc.

My question is this: am I going to be more prone to health issues, such Alzheimer's or something of that sort because of this? My dad is suffering from that right now, at an early age (67), but he's had numerous other health issues, including stroke, heart attack, etc. I'm still healthy at my age, but worry about this causing problems in the future more than anything else. Otherwise, I guess you could say I'm lucky in that it wasn't even worse.  Should I be concerned?
I had bleeding on my brain (brain contusion) after a fall and have scar tissue like you.  Unfortunately I suffer with lot of symptoms (housebound mostly because of that) and they call it as Persistent Post Concussion Syndrome and nothing much can be done.

Consider yourself very lucky if you don't have any symptoms and don't worry about what can/will happen.  No one can predict and enjoy your life.

Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Actually there is no scarring in the brain as there is no collagen in brain. There can be ischemic changes, necrosis, or softening of brain. Traumatic brain injury is one such reason. Maybe what is seen are amyloid plaques seen in Alzheimer’s disease. With time the brain shrinks. If you are talking about white spots then white spots on MRI are seen in MS, microvascular disease (arteriosclerosis as you mention), some types of headaches, Alzhiemer’s disease, old age and even due to TBI. It is difficult to differentiate the white spots due to one disease from the white spots due to another. Patient history and other parameters are taken into consideration and co related with the MRI picture. So consult your neurologist about how regularly you should come for a follow up as you have some changes in the brain but now you are fit. Take care!

The correct medical term is encephalomalacia.  Doctors told me scar tissue just for the sake of simplicity.  You can get your MRI report and take a look at what exactly it is.  

I suspect, like your Neurologist it is most likely due to TBI.  If there is anything else then there are other tests which is not pleasant (Spinal Tap) only if you are too worried.  You can consult with your doctor.
Which doctor would I even speak with?  My neurologist doesn't really seem too concerned to elaborate on it.  Plus it's $50 every time I see him (terrible insurance).  

I guess I'm mainly worried about this making me more prone to something in the future - mostly dementia.  I've read some information that seems to point that it could, but I know it's going to be hard to say yes or no..
Today, Saturday- I had a seizure with loss of control or movement of my left leg.  I couldn't walk or get up to walk.  It lasted for about a few  minutes.  I drove myself to the ER.    Had a CT scan of head  -blood test--cardiogram-chest xray.  

They found a scar on my brain which causes seizures.  They wanted to admit me & not drive but I did  drive  anyway & got myself home-  I refused to stay there because of my family.  they need me.

They wanted to admit me but I refused  because of my dad & brother being home-.-- I need to take him back tomorrow nite.   I am on seizure meds.  zepra

-they want me to get an MRI. of the brain Monday to see exactly where the scar is & what it is pressing on.

Never a dull moment--not sure what will happen either & I  AM VERY SCARED. * &   may need surgery.  i hope not & never  remember banging my head except on the refrigerator door

I will not get the surgery  I will take the meds
This is contradictory to what my daughter's pediatric neurologist just told us, regarding her "scarring" that was seen in a recent MRI.
What post are you referring to?