Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Concussion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Concussion

earlyer today around 11 am i walked into the kitchen hit the fridge and woke up on the floor my cousin said she was trying to get my attention and i was not responding but my eyes were open i saw nothing but black i hit my head hard on hard tile floor and my head still hurts and its 3:09 am do i have a concussion?
Tags: concussion, head, hurts, today, black, help
Hi, Thank you for your question. After head injury or impact such kind of symptoms like loss of smell or taste and other symptoms may be common due to extent of damaged part of brain and may remain symptomatic or progress in future. Although any sure success cure can not be assured in such cases, but symptomatic relief or it may decrease with period of time, physiotherapy, avoiding any triggering factors and life style modification help you in certain extent. Please arrange an appointment with a neurologist who will evaluate the further prognosis here and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this helps.

Generally, in such a situation the damage is done by swelling, during the first 24-48 hours. This is the so-called "window of opportunity".

In the United States the drill should not be to"make an appointment with a neurologist" but to go immediately to an emergency room, preferably a certified trauma center. Don't pass go. Don't collect two hundred dollars. These people have protocols, or standard operation procedures, that are very good and proven to reduce the possibility of later injury.

You experienced a loss of consciousness (LOC) which, in any hospital I have worked mandated admission and 24 hour observation.

Commonly blood pressure is monitered to determine the degree of swelling. Strange blood pressure readings indicate swelling. Of course a CT or MRI is also indicated.

Nausea is a common symptom of swelling.

They also administer medications to reduce the swelling, and ocasionally drill weep holes in the skull if this doesn't work.

The other possibility when the neck is flexed is a cervical fracture. Thus a film is usually taken.

Even though it is a bit late I would go to an emergency room.