Forehead Injury
My daughter, 16, was goofing around with her friend.  They were wrestling around on the floor when she turned and banged her head on a weight, I think maybe a dumbbell.  She immediately developed a knot on her forehead, she panicked a lot, cried and then ran home.  She was next door.  She applied and ice pack off and on throughout the night.  She was alert and talking, but still very scared that something could be wrong - I guess this comes from the Natasha Richardson accident.  But I explained to her that her injury was trauma to the skull and brain and that I really didn't think that her forehead injury was anything to worry about.  Sunday, she still had a little swelling and the inside corners of her eyes started to bruise.  That area is a little swollen too.  Everything else is fine - she's as talkative and energetic as before the accident.  Should I be worried about the swelling and bruising in the eye area?  Should I take her to a doctor and have all the x-rays, CAT scans performed?  Please help me.  Thank you.
You demonstrated a lack of judgement in not immediately sending her to an emergency room. You had absolutely no basis to make that diagnosis and you are very lucky your daughter does not have permanant brain damage. In most states your actions would require a call to adult protective services.

It is a little late, but the "family doctor" is not where she should be going. She belongs in an emergency room.

The chances are nothing will happen, but you are in no position to evaluate her injuries. Take her to an emergency room now.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
First of all relax! I know it looks horrible but it is normal. Below the skin there is a common space extending from your forehead to your cheek. Hence if you have a bump on your forehead, the water, blood and chemicals and cells that collect as a result move to lower areas like your eyelids, cheek etc. The color changes that occur are also normal. The redness turns to reddish blue tinge and then yellowish depending on the stage of healing.
Having said all this I would still say that all head injuries should be immediately attended to by a medically trained person. However since your daughter has no other symptom, there are less chances of brain injury. Still do take her for emergency X-rays and CT scans to be doubly sure. Now after some time has passed since injury you need to look out for symptoms like balancing problems, fainting attacks or vomiting or memory loss in your daughter.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
I know how you feel, my younger brother just did the same as well, against a door-frame  :(
I may not be an expert, but I doesn't seam as if there is serious brain damage. Still, it might be wise to take her to the doctor, if not only just for a second opinion on the entire thing. It might just be that it is a basic case of swelling and bruising. Still, better safe then sorry, right?

Hope she feels better soon!
i hit my forehead in the door no blood i havent have experienced vommiting but my forehead bit swelling is that not bad? as i feel bit pain but not a headache it is just becouse of swelling
did not have to be so harsh, the daughter was acting fine, my children have fallen when little and got a goose egg knot, we were told that if it poked out they would probably be fine, just watch them and put ice packs on and look for any vomiting or strange behavior, i doubt that the mother just let it go as you presume! sounds as if she did watch her, enough to write on here about the other stuff, her daughter was 16 and i could convey how she was feeling unlike a toddler or baby, so you might think you are all that by making her feel like a bad mother but i am 51 have raise four children, have 13 grandchildren and have taken care of the sick elderly for many years and non have died yet even though i did not think everything needed a large er bill, shame on you for not giving good advice but a bad lecture,
my son age of 3 years , today he fall on rack of concreat  towards forehead left side over the eyebro small swelling & than i applied homemade ghee but he was not like ghee smell immidetlly he is vomit , with 15 min. i contact doc. he gave me some medicne plz give me u r bench opinion
my son age of 3 years , today he fall on rack of concreat  towards forehead left side over the eyebro small swelling & than i applied homemade ghee but he was not like ghee smell immidetlly he is vomit , with 15 min. i contact doc. he gave me some medicne plz give me u r bench opinion plz i am waiting u r opinion
You need to take him to see the doctor.  If he hit his head and is now vomiting, this is a bad sign.  Take him immediately to the hospital.
Most head injuries are miner and require little to no medical attention even when accompanied by some skin trama. They do require constant observation for the first few days just incase changes develop that would require medical attention. I have had several head injuries resulting in minor concussions. No x-rays or CAT scans were preformed by the attending ER doctors. I was given a list of symptoms to watch out for and sent home. If there was not a lose of consciousness, no double vision, vomiting, staggering, bleeding from ears, eyes, nose, mouth, lack of pupil response to light or mental confusion. They then ask a series of questions for cognitive alertness and check physical reflex response. If there is any need for stiches, glue or steri strips, that will be attended to during the exam. My daughter fell from the couch onto her head at 3 months old and I took her to the ER and they examened her and sent me home with a list of things to watch for. No CAT or X-rays done. Thats my experinces with going to the ER.
That was harsh!  She said her daughter was acting fine.  She is obviously a loving, caring mom.
I've had a very similar situation happen with one of my children.  Most mild concussions go misdiagnosed because the symptoms are subtle and sometimes onset is over a period of time.  For example, my son was skateboarding and a 1"round by 6' HEAVY metal pipe fell on him and whacked him across the top part of his fh above the temporal and brow region-  needless to say; blood everywhere.  Our EMS CHOSE NOT to take him to ER - telling us he'd be fine. Well- no- he wasn't fine.  He ended up with a total change in personality; his grades FELL- his ambitions changed; I had a completely different person living with me.  There were many cognitive, emotional, and even physical differences!  (Balance!).

My point is.... Take your daughter to an opthamolagist- have her eyes checked out.  Then, I would follow up w a pediatric neurologist just to ensure all is ok.  We ARE responsible for our kids after all.   Many neuros have NOT had brain injuries, do they DONT understand what it's like to live through that hell and learn to compensate and recover.  
wow I bet she has NO KIDS
Yes take her to get a cat scan trust me it is your little girl