Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Forehead Injury

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Forehead Injury

My daughter, 16, was goofing around with her friend.  They were wrestling around on the floor when she turned and banged her head on a weight, I think maybe a dumbbell.  She immediately developed a knot on her forehead, she panicked a lot, cried and then ran home.  She was next door.  She applied and ice pack off and on throughout the night.  She was alert and talking, but still very scared that something could be wrong - I guess this comes from the Natasha Richardson accident.  But I explained to her that her injury was trauma to the skull and brain and that I really didn't think that her forehead injury was anything to worry about.  Sunday, she still had a little swelling and the inside corners of her eyes started to bruise.  That area is a little swollen too.  Everything else is fine - she's as talkative and energetic as before the accident.  Should I be worried about the swelling and bruising in the eye area?  Should I take her to a doctor and have all the x-rays, CAT scans performed?  Please help me.  Thank you.
You demonstrated a lack of judgement in not immediately sending her to an emergency room. You had absolutely no basis to make that diagnosis and you are very lucky your daughter does not have permanant brain damage. In most states your actions would require a call to adult protective services.

It is a little late, but the "family doctor" is not where she should be going. She belongs in an emergency room.

The chances are nothing will happen, but you are in no position to evaluate her injuries. Take her to an emergency room now.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
First of all relax! I know it looks horrible but it is normal. Below the skin there is a common space extending from your forehead to your cheek. Hence if you have a bump on your forehead, the water, blood and chemicals and cells that collect as a result move to lower areas like your eyelids, cheek etc. The color changes that occur are also normal. The redness turns to reddish blue tinge and then yellowish depending on the stage of healing.
Having said all this I would still say that all head injuries should be immediately attended to by a medically trained person. However since your daughter has no other symptom, there are less chances of brain injury. Still do take her for emergency X-rays and CT scans to be doubly sure. Now after some time has passed since injury you need to look out for symptoms like balancing problems, fainting attacks or vomiting or memory loss in your daughter.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
I know how you feel, my younger brother just did the same as well, against a door-frame  :(
I may not be an expert, but I doesn't seam as if there is serious brain damage. Still, it might be wise to take her to the doctor, if not only just for a second opinion on the entire thing. It might just be that it is a basic case of swelling and bruising. Still, better safe then sorry, right?

Hope she feels better soon!
i hit my forehead in the door no blood i havent have experienced vommiting but my forehead bit swelling is that not bad? as i feel bit pain but not a headache it is just becouse of swelling
did not have to be so harsh, the daughter was acting fine, my children have fallen when little and got a goose egg knot, we were told that if it poked out they would probably be fine, just watch them and put ice packs on and look for any vomiting or strange behavior, i doubt that the mother just let it go as you presume! sounds as if she did watch her, enough to write on here about the other stuff, her daughter was 16 and i could convey how she was feeling unlike a toddler or baby, so you might think you are all that by making her feel like a bad mother but i am 51 have raise four children, have 13 grandchildren and have taken care of the sick elderly for many years and non have died yet even though i did not think everything needed a large er bill, shame on you for not giving good advice but a bad lecture,
my son age of 3 years , today he fall on rack of concreat  towards forehead left side over the eyebro small swelling & than i applied homemade ghee but he was not like ghee smell immidetlly he is vomit , with 15 min. i contact doc. he gave me some medicne plz give me u r bench opinion
my son age of 3 years , today he fall on rack of concreat  towards forehead left side over the eyebro small swelling & than i applied homemade ghee but he was not like ghee smell immidetlly he is vomit , with 15 min. i contact doc. he gave me some medicne plz give me u r bench opinion plz i am waiting u r opinion
You need to take him to see the doctor.  If he hit his head and is now vomiting, this is a bad sign.  Take him immediately to the hospital.