Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Head Trauma, Now Loss Of Smell

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Head Trauma, Now Loss Of Smell

Im 14 years old and on August 24, 2011 (4 Months Ago) .. I was at church and when it was over i jumped on my uncles car while it was moving, fell off and hit my head and passed out, My uncle is a cop so he got me back awake, and then took me to the hospital, When i arrived it took my uncle, dad , and 12 nurse's to sedate me. They had me on alot of drugs, and stuff.. I was in ICU for 5 days, i woke up and i asked what had happened because i did not remember the day it happened or the first 5 days in the hospital, i stayed another 5 days and was released. I had a hairline fractured skull, and my brain was bleeding , and had fluid in it.

When i got home almost everything was fine, only thing wrong is i was getting bad, very bad headaches. The doctors prescribed me with Hydrocodone, Which helped ALOT!. I had all my taste's and smell at that time. about a month after i got out of the hospital the headaches went away, but i lost my taste and smell, about a month after that, i got my taste back but i still CANT smell, Its been 2 months without smelling, and im just wondering why? .. If i can taste , i thought i would be able to smell, but i cant.

Ive been out 4 months, and i havent got another cat scan or anything yet, should i follow up with a head trauma MD?

Is This Normal? .. Will i ever get my smell back?

Anything will help!, Thanks!
Hi!
I can understand your dilemma. Loss of smell and taste following head injury can be a symptom of concussion and this may take months to resolve. At times it is due to traumatic injury either to the olfactory nerve or to the olfactory center in the brain and this type of damage is permanent. If it is due to injury to nose internally then this may recover. The various tests carried out to detect the cause of loss of smell is CT scan of nasal sinuses, MRI of brain, allergy testing, and blood glucose levels. This is followed by quantitative smell test which helps identifies the degree of loss. Please discuss with your treating doctor. Take care!