Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Head trauma causes loss of smell/taste

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Viewing 201-204 comments:
Just wondered if your smell and taste have come back?
I had a bi-frontal craniotomy 18 months ago, obviously in a coma I wasn't eating so defiantly couldn't taste anything then,  can't remember tasting the food in hospital (probably a good thing). When I went to to rehab everything I ate or drank tasted of pizza, that  went on for about a month, then my girlfriend bought me some lovely chocolates which changed the continuous pizza taste to a continuous chocolate taste, sounds good but really not. I went through that for 5 months and now I can't taste a thing no matter how spicy, hot or sweet. I can not smell anything either.  This is a huge pain as I was a chef and loved food.

I spoke to my neurosurgeon recently and she said that it's sad that I have lost these senses, but as she had to remove part of my left frontal lobe that this was a unfortunate consequence, she also said that if I did not got the senses back in the first 6 months I am unlikely to ever get them back.

I hope that you are back with those wonderful flavours and those awful smells.  As I hope to be one day.
My boyfriend fell off the back of his truck in June 2011. He fell off backwards hitting the back of his head. The doctor explained his skull looking like a cracked windshield. The cracks came all the way around his head to his eyes and nasal area. He soon realized after the injury there was a loss of taste and smell. For the last 6 months or so he explains a smell similar to a sweet musky sickening smell. Sometimes this smell is so strong it will make him very nauseous. As for his taste he can taste sweet or sour things but, if not for the texture of the food he would never know what he was eating. Along with those symptoms he is experiencing dizziness. Up until a few months ago he only experienced dizziness when changing positions such as laying to sitting up or standing up quickly. Now, he is experiencing them several times per day with no change in position. They only last a few minutes but, for those few minutes he is completely disoriented. He seems to experience the extremely bad dizziness when he is laying on his left side and tries to lift his head. We have been searching for a doctor to address these issues for several months with no help thus far. If anyone can provide us with information on a doctor or facility that may be able to help him I would greatly appreciate it. We are willing to travel as far as needed. We live in West Virginia and we have been to North Carolina for help but, the doctor didn't seem to be interested in these symptoms. He basically told my boyfriend he was lucky to be alive and should be focused on that. He is very greatful to be alive but, he experiencing a great deal of depression from the loss of these senses.
Not to discourage anyone but I was in a four wheeler wreck about a year and a half ago on march 20 I suffered a fractured skull and two brain bleeds in the frontal part of my brain my neurologist told me the same about my smell and taste she said it may or may not return there was no way of telling. She told me the nerves that control smell and taste were right at the front of the skull and are very small when you suffer tbi those nerves become severed and by the time they grow back your brain has created scar tissue and the nerves can no longer get through she also said it was more likely to get my smell back than taste. I'm relived to read so many smell an almost burning scent it was starting to worry me at times I feel I catch a wiff of someone cutting grass or rain ect mostly things I miss smelling but I think its just my brain remembers those smells and I just think I smell it but I really don't. It gets very frusterating trying to explain to smellers and tasters why or why I don't like certain foods bit like everyone has said it could have been alot worse! I was expected to be in a rehab for 6months to a year I walker out the hospital after 16 days walking talking and taking care of myself on my 20th birthday
Jennette,without me going thru my own TBI story... try this treatment, I found that after doing this (and after a sore neck from trying it alone) that I could smell ever so slightly when I bent down as and looked past my knees. Now although that's an unorthodox position to be in...it simulates pressure on the brain "gravity" and if their remains any new repairing receptors it helps find the connection via the nasal cavity. The point of me responding to you and your boyfriend is that: any small improvement gives encouragement and stymies off depression for the both of you.

Good Luck and God Bless
Signed: TejanoJoe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OudVoS5UY0c
without me going thru my own TBI story... try this treatment, I found that after doing this (and after a sore neck from trying it alone) that I could smell ever so slightly when I bent down as and looked past my knees. Now although that's an unorthodox position to be in...it stimulates pressure on the brain "gravity" and if their remains any new repairing receptors it helps find the connection via the nasal cavity. The point of me responding to you and your boyfriend is that: any small improvement gives encouragement and stymies off depression for the both of you.

Good Luck and God Bless
Signed: TejanoJoe

I am suffering from the exact same smell as yourself and can relate to the depression you are experiencing.
It has been 3 months since my head injury and still have had no let up on this and my doctor informed me that there is no time limit on when or if my senses will return to normal.
The frustration it is causing me is unbearable and all we can do is wait and hope that our mutual condition is cured.
In the mean time I hope you get some results soon,
Good Luck
Charlie
Hey i had accident b4 5 month ,i was ridng bike and other guy who was ridngbike from  wrong side we both get crushed and i was in the air and i  dnt know wht hapn next the thing i know was hard pain in my head and my arms than pplz asked are you ok than i jus waved my hand and said im fine jus my nose is bleedng than i had taken to hospital and than dr said i have go though opretion as my skull was broken and all blood from skull was cumng through my nose  and my face having 17 fractures from head to chin. Than after opreation m. not able smell jus one smell  is cumng dnt wht **** that smell calld but it drivng me crazy every time i wana check if i can smell .well friends io am haveng two still plates fix in my skull one on left and other on right .and doc said the same answer may ur s?mell be back or not.and havng headach from when. I walk in morning till m writing to u pplz life jus becum like hell now. I can fell blood cumng out and in in my vans well friends bye may god bless all of us
my daughter suffered  a tbi in novemer of last year ,,she was on her bike and went through the window screen of a bus ,,she was put straight in intensive care where she stayed in a coma for 5 weeks she had to fractures to the skull blood clots and her rain swelled so much they told us to expect the worse after a long and traumatic talk to the consultant we were told our only hope was to operate and move the front and top portion of her skull so litually half her skull was removed fro above her eyebrows to the back of her head ,,this allowed her brain to swell without causing anymore damage to her brain we were told shed be severley brain damaged the op she had was a crainotomy ,,a few days pasted they tried to wake her but she had a collapsed lung also so went on to have a tracky they woke her and a year on shes doing great she as her bad days her smell as gone and taste her pesonality as changed also ..but rather this than what we was first informed she was a very lucky girl 5 weeks ago she went on to have a crainplasty which is where they opeped her up again and replaced the missing skull with a titanium plate was so scared for her the doctor kept saying our you sure you want this done as you might not make it ,,she was adamant she wanted it done and she is now on the mend with no infection thankgod im so lucky to have her still with us xx

I fractured my scull over 20 years ago now, it wasn't until about 2  months after my injury ( once the headaches had subsided ), that i realised i had no smell and maybe no taste, test comfirmed loss of smell, although i can smell sillage and strong perfumes, i too have the smell of burn in my nose, i suppose some might get there smell back, but it doesn't have much of an affect on my daily life, it does get better.

Cheers. :)
I lost my smell and taste 9 1/2 years ago. i was cleaning blinds at the school I worked at and lost my balance and fell off a counter. I hit the back of my head on the cement floor. I dont remember if I passed out or not. I was throwing up and had a bad concussion, The EMT came and because I could tell them the right day and year they said it was probably a small concussion and they could take be to the ER but they would probably tell me the same thing so I didnt go. My husband came and took me home. I remenber my eyes felt like they were going to pop out of my head any time I opened my eyes. I was also throwing up. I tried to eat a saltine cracker and thats when I noticed I could not taste it othere than the salt. By the morning I was no better so my husband took me to the ER. I told them what had happened and they ordered an MRI. when I was coming out of that and laying down I told the doctor I could not taste and the look on his face was like wow I never heard such a thing. I also had severe whiplash they told me and all the nerve endings around my tailbone were swollen. Two years after that my doctor wanted me to go get another MRI. I did so but they could not see anything wrong and I was told there is just not enough information for them to look at when this happens so they dont no why it happens. I also get this smell like sulfer sometimes and the sweet smell that doesnt smell like anything I can compare it with. I just assumed its more like a sensation since I cant describe the smell. And also I get the tingling in my nose at times too. At first I thought well i will loose weight but I actually have gaind ten pounds because I tend to eat salty or sweet so my mind is satisfied I enjoyeed it lol. Also chrunchy things and what things look like have more to deal with what I eat now days. Its been 9 1/2 years now so I dont think of it alot unless I think of the they smells that trigger memories like fresh flowers, the christmas tree, or smelling the warm pine smell from the trees when I go camping, homeaid cookies and coffee. I believe everything happens for a reason so if God wants me to smell again it will happen and if not.. then there is a reason for that as well...
omg i am right behind you i fell last december and since then i have lost my senses i am so depressed i have been trying to find support groups but i cant get any help there is nothing out there and no one could help i have gone to so many ents and neuros and all they have done is give me vitamons, steriods, and tell me i lost scar tissue in that area and it needs to be built up and its all i hear i keep hating myself for going out that day i went to throw away some food i did not want from when i went out to eat and i thew up fell and lost my balance can we keep in touch i need a group to talk to
i am glad to have found a group i have been in search everywhere i need help i am so depressed and i cant handle this i fell on my head and since then i have not been able to smell or taste i am just willing to go and lose weight and never eat again i cant handle this it will be a year in decemeber and i have not regain it back
It's been 3 months since my skull fracture. I was excited about the fact that everything started smelling and tasting like burnt hair and chili powder because it made me think I was starting to get my smell and taste back. The only thing that tastes like it should is minty gum. I'm not the type to dwell in self pitty... But THIS *****!!! It's really taking a toll on my ability to enjoy life. The few things I enjoy in this life, like cooking, eating, the smell of christmas trees, is all gone. FML!
Hi kinder ,  I got very depressed with the loss of my smell / taste. No one could undertsand what i was going thew .I Also smelt a burning rubber during the first 4  to 6 months of my injury. I was walking my dog 3 years on the 19th dec when i sliped on the ice and hit the back of my head. My sence of taste is now with salt and sugar but still no smell . I have not lost any weight as i`m trying all foods to see if i can taste any. If there was any way of improving my senses i would jump at th chance
  I lost my sense of smell after a concussion, three bleeds frontal lobe. I still have 99% of my ability to taste but still struggle with smell. Its been 7 years now and still a flash of something or just a memory of a sent toys with me. My girlfriend gives me different things to try to smell all the time. We do this in hope that by stimulating that part of the brain may kickstart it. I would love any suggestions or storys. Good luck to all.
To those with recent injuries and loss of smell and thus taste.... Hang in there and explore possibilities.  I lost mine 2 years ago from 2 TBIs a week apart (be careful with your balance) and have not given up hope that one day it will return. Until then, I am trying different things to try to help restore smell/taste. I take a lot of Vitamin Bs because it is good for nerve regrowth-hasn't woked yet- but who knows maybe it will work for you. I also discovered studies where rats supposedly had their sense of smell returned (nerve regrowth) by steroid injections into the nasal area. My doctor would not do it to me but gave me steroidal nasal spray.  It seemed to help me slightly with trigeminal nerve tastes (spicy, sweet,salty,sour) but not with olfactory nerve tastes. Of course it may have been psychosomatic.  And I say that it seemed to help- not that I could tell at the time- but only after using it foir about 6 months and stopping- I noticed that I had to use more salt and sweetner to even get a slight sensation of them.
Learn to appreciate texture and temperature.
Being pro-active helps you cope with the loss.
Hang in there. Hope this helps.
Wel, first of all, thank you for you original post and a huge thanks to all the discussion. My husband suffered a TBI in June 2012 (about 6 months ago now.) He fell from his bike during a triathlon. He had a fracture to the left side, hemorage and contusions to the right. He has done amazingly well, and it thrills me to read how well many of your doing. When they told us that 70 million people a year suffer head injuries that seemed like such a big number until you start talking to people. My husband is also still suffering from a loss of smell and taste. And yes, the only sense he has had, and only occaisionally, is the burning smell. He also feels spicy food on the back of his tongue but does not really taste it. He has a very mild sensation to salt. He has a good appetite though? This seems odd to the rest of us but i suppose if the stomach craves food it can bypass the senses.

One update, just recently I saw something on CNN, by Dr. Gupta, that there is more and more evidence of large doses of Omega 3 fish oils showing very positive effects on brain recovery and repair. I am pursuing this - let me know if anyone else does as well. Nancy
thank you alllllllll for ur comments ---- i wish u all peace & hope --- i came to this site bcos my son had a headvinjury that resulted in loss of ssmell ----- & his symptoms & feedback from dr's  is exactly what you all dedcribed---- thanks to all who posted the reminder to be thankful the outcome of accident wasnt worse   B-)   <3    thanks    
Hi.. Was reading your problem about Vertigo. My mother suffered this problem  for about 20 years and it was getting verse every year. God was kind that one day I met a Acupuncture Doctor in Chennai, India. He gave one sitting of acupuncture treatment and my mother never got Vertigo attacks after that. It's been 2 years now. You can try this treatment as it has no side effect...
I don't have brain damage or loss of taste, but i do have a herniated disc in my lower back that pinched my sciatic nerve running to my left leg & it totally ***** so i can empathize with you! It basically ruined my life for a whole month while my leg & foot were completely numb while going through physical therapy & what not. It sucked even worse for the period of time before i actually got put into physical therapy also because all the doctors i went to before going to the ER & getting real treatment didn't even believe me when i told them about my symptoms, i have no idea why.. But don't go to Dr. Foot at Instacare in Davis County. He is a HORRIBLE doctor, really.
this sounds EXACTLY like what is happening to me.  especially the "sweet burning smell" mine has almost an antiseptic smell to it as well.
Its been 10 years since I got anosmia after an incident where I banged my head pretty hard, but it didnt split open or anything. And its been truly hard these years. I can smell things other cannot smell, like, if I heat a hot and spicy meal, I can smell it from my armpits. And it really stinks, and it took a long while before I dared to ask a close friend if it really smelled. To my relief it did not smell anything at all to him. So I have been showering 90% more than usual because of that annoyance..and showering doesnt really help. Simply eating is horrible , nothing taste good or satisfying, except for sour or salty liqurice candy. Nutritous shakes have been nice at times, but I can only drink those for so long. I am down to 120pounds, it does not look like I am falling apart, but inside I have been screaming the past years. I learned about anosmia via the internet. And I have been reading recently about a new form of MRI that could temporarily help alot with smell and taste disorders. I just gotta hope that kind of MRI arrives in my country sooner than later.
I wrote the post at 5 Am and I need to correct "heat" into "eat." This issue is just so bothersome, smelling stuff others cant, and at the same time not being able to smell the most obvious smells. I once was visiting a friend who did not know about my issues, and yada yada, a pillow caught fire and I did not smell anything with my back turned. Safe to say I had to explain why.
Hi!  

I just searched and found this forum.  I hope since time has passed that things are better for you.   The reason I am writing you is, you described my symptoms completely.  I constantly smell burnt wood or smell like someone is smoking near me, no one is.   Both sense of smell and taste are gone, and I have no appetite to speak of.   I had a fall 3 months ago while waiting in line to get a sandwich at a local restaurant.   I have no recollection of the fall and none of being transported to the hospital where I spent 5 nights in ICU.   I fractured my skull and hit the front of the head ending up with 2 black eyes and more damage to the sinus cavities.  The neurologist said I had a seizure, which I have never had before.   He put me on a high dosage of anti seizure meds and since then I have changed Drs.  The new Dr. looked at all my tests, paperwork, etc. and said I did not have a seizure, that this accident happened more than likely due to a heart issue.  He referred me to a cardio Dr. which I have seen and he has ordered some tests which I will have next week.  Tilt table test and a 24 hour heart monitor.   I am a 55 year old woman who is very healthy otherwise.  No history of heart problems.  I hope you are doing better and am very thankful to have found this forum.  
Hi!  

4 years ago I too took a fall of the wing of an airplane. Although it appears that I landed feet first I crumped and slammed my head backwards into the payment. The fall shattered my neck (broke the C-2, shattered the C-4) requiring surgery and caged fusion of C-3 to C-5, last year they completed the fusion to included the C-6. I wore a halo for months. I also broke my lower back and had a massive TBI with closed skull fracture in 4 places to the back of my skull. The 'bounce' was so sever that I had bleeding in the frontal lobes and the rear of my brain. It wasn't for 3 months that i realized that I could not smell anything at all which was the reason I couldn't smell either. (I also have no sensation of hot or cold on my enitire left side). They did a CTscan on my brain and discovered that the impact of the TBI and smashed the smell nerons that sit on the boney shelf at the bridge of the nose and 'sorry' was all they could say. After 4 years the taste has not returned but I have found that strong coffee can give me a bitter taste at times, Chocolate is on the side of the tounge, and your heat taste buds are in  the back of my throat so I use a lot of peppers in my cooking now because I want some sensation of flavor otherwise I have no want to eat, appetite is gone. I have faith that my brain in time will rewire itself do to God's might creation and yes, every now and then I get a smell in my nose like something electrical is burning and you can not make it go away.....it finally does after a few hours though.

I miss the smell of horses the most :-)

I miss the smell of horses the most :-)
4 years ago I too took a fall of the wing of an airplane. Although it appears that I landed feet first I crumped and slammed my head backwards into the payment. The fall shattered my neck (broke the C-2, shattered the C-4) requiring surgery and caged fusion of C-3 to C-5, last year they completed the fusion to included the C-6. I wore a halo for months. I also broke my lower back and had a massive TBI with closed skull fracture in 4 places to the back of my skull. The 'bounce' was so sever that I had bleeding in the frontal lobes and the rear of my brain. It wasn't for 3 months that i realized that I could not smell anything at all which was the reason I couldn't smell either. (I also have no sensation of hot or cold on my enitire left side). They did a CTscan on my brain and discovered that the impact of the TBI and smashed the smell nerons that sit on the boney shelf at the bridge of the nose and 'sorry' was all they could say. After 4 years the taste has not returned but I have found that strong coffee can give me a bitter taste at times, Chocolate is on the side of the tounge, and your heat taste buds are in  the back of my throat so I use a lot of peppers in my cooking now because I want some sensation of flavor otherwise I have no want to eat, appetite is gone. I have faith that my brain in time will rewire itself do to God's might creation and yes, every now and then I get a smell in my nose like something electrical is burning and you can not make it go away.....it finally does after a few hours though. I thought the meds were the reason my taste was off but 4 years later....its still gone.

I miss the smell of horses the most :-)
My son has TBI and it has almost been 2 years. His injury is a lot more server than your injury. It is hard to find out for sure even though he can chat with us and eat a normal diet, but I am 99% sure his taste buds are still effected. He can eat just about anything and the main response we get when asked,is, it is cold or hot, but he is not able to tell us what it tastes like.
I hope your life is still improving :)

Hello brittany. I am slowly entering this world concerning your problem.
I have something really exciting to tell you.

I know about this problem because my friend David suffers from this issue. Now, I do not have full conclusive evidence of a returning sense of smell. I do have factual evidence that after doing energy work with me he was smelling immediate smells of the incense i was burning, and it seemed to him taste was coming back in food, he was using his nose again. I had to leave Costa Rica so we only got about 3 sessions in. Still. I think its amazing that we got the results we did.

I later found out this is a very big problem and a lot of people suffer from it. Thoughts in my head are to continue this with other people, and maybe start up a center somewhere. right now i'm moving around seattle canada and california.  
Hey Brittany, I seen your post. I'm sorry for what happened for what happened to you, i hope you're feeling better.

I am going through the same injury, except i was involved in a hit and run accident, some idiot ran me completely over while i was walking across the crosswalk, and i was diagnosed with a skull fracture, a small bruise, and some bleeding in my brain. I was suffering a concussion.

And it's been exactly one month sense my accident, and i can only taste certain foods, such as: salty foods, sweets, fruits and vegetables.. Everything else either tastes like burning plastic, or nothing at all. And same with smell, i can only smell certain things, or absolutely nothing.
And i'm really concerned whether if this is permanent or if it's part of the healing process.
Have you experienced anything like that as far as taste and smell goes?
I fell and hit my head on the ground over 2 months ago, had a concussion which caused my loss of smell 100% and taste I would say 75%.
I can only taste salty, sour, spicy and sweet things but can not taste the actual food that I'm eating.
As everyone had mentioned, the neurologist said that it might come back and it might not.
It's not a good feeling when you can't smell people, places and food, I'm hoping to find a treatment center/clinic that specializes in this and ready to sign up.
Seeing everyone's posts has made me realize how common the loss of smell and taste is due to TMI. My accident occurred over a year ago and I remember distinctly when my neurologist told me if it does not return in 1 year, it is unlikely you will ever get it back. I don't believe him for a second and like many of the posters I sometimes smell a burning smoky smell, usually when I am showering. And as I notice, it disappears. I still suffer from dizzy spells even after 8 weeks of physio. I just sit down now and it passes. The thing is if you are 70% ok, post accident....they can't do anything for you anymore.

I often referred to my sense of smell as my super power pre TMI. I could tell if my daughter was getting sick 2 days before she showed symptoms. I could smell what others could not. Losing it was devastating for me, but I just told myself, losing it can't be without a reason or lesson. I truly hope it returns. In the meantime try to cook with more spice as your taste buds do work and you can almost trick your brain into thinking it can smell. One thing I have noticed, raw foods (vegies and fruits) uncooked allow some taste (of course only sweet, salty, sour, bitter). Look at a diagram of the tongue and test it out!

Promise, the small things can get you through the worst days. My first thanksgiving, the smell of worms on a rainy day, the smell of my husband and daughter. I remember them and miss them dearly. But on the positive side? I can ride a bus on a hot summer day without the bad smells that are associated with it, someone once threw up on the bus and I was the only one that did not gag, my daughter tells me I am lucky I can't smell my husband's farts, I don't smell the grease when walking in a food court, the perfume section in Sears doesn't make me run....the list goes on. Try to focus on the good....I try to.
TBI....silly rabbit I am.
I just read your post Jacinda and had to laugh.  There is a "positive" in ways with this not being able to smell or taste.  I made Jambayla for my husband today and he likes it very very spicy.  I prepared it and he came downstairs and made the comment that it smelled wonderful and couldn't wait to eat!  I didn't smell a thing, even when I put my face in the pot!  He has been very very supportive and feels bad about me not being able to smell or taste.  It has been nearly 7 months now for me and it keeps going from having very weird tastes (soapy taste, chemical taste and a very very annoying burnt smell.  Almost to the point to where I wish I had NO taste at all.  I am scheduled to go to the Smell and Taste center in Philadelphia near the end of the year.  I have read quite a bit about the Dr. who heads up the program there.  Dr. Richard Doty.  My Neurologist and ENT here do not thing I will ever regain my sense back. I have good days and bad days, but am starting to get more depressed about it.  I had a fall and was in ICU for 5 nights.  Diagnosed with TBI and fractured my skull.  I fell forward and then went straight back to the floor.  Had brain bleeding and luckily did not have to have surgery.  All in all, I am so fortunate that it wasn't worse.
Hi Pam...some days are harder. Especially when people are either accosted by a bad smell and ask automatically....DID YOU SMELL THAT? Or here, smell my new perfume....or doesn't that meal smell wonderful? I usually respond with humor and tell them they are an insensitive boob.

I think my hubby has it hardest as he loves to cook and try new things, or asks me what I want for supper. But the cravings are gone without taste. I don't really care what I eat. And there is no reaction to his latest creation from me so it is hard for those closest to us. So tell me was the Jambayla too spicy? Do you also find some spicy food that makes people sweat,  actually tastes sweet?

I always say, our bodies are magical and will repair themselves in time. We just have to not give up hope.

I was hit by a wanna be Lance Armstrong cyclist while out walking my dogs. I was thrown out of my shoes as he hit me head on and my head hit the pavement. Blacked out, convulsed based on my hubby who was ten feet away. Prognosis was concussion, TBI, C1 and C2 fractures, stitches to my head, brain bleeding that stopped and no surgery was required either...thank you Batman for small favors. I was in a oh so lovely neck brace for 8 weeks.....no balance,,,,took physio to help with that. It's been a ride. I am at the 13 month mark and even though I still have some short term memory issues and balance issues the one thing that hurts the most is my lack of smell.

I feel where you are at and just know that sometimes life deals us a crappy hand....what we do with it makes the difference. So if a dark cloud is surrounding your world.....visualize white light and see it penetrating through your head and body. Ok....so some say I am a bit of a witch....but I do believe we can heal ourselves. We just need to embrace what this experience entered our lives for.

Take care of you Pam.
Thanks for responding!  And yes, you are so right about when people who do not understand say silly things like, try this, smell this, it gets very annoying.  I even have a friend who keeps telling me that not having a smell or taste is a good diet plan!  I couldn't believe that.  I know that she truly does not understand and I just shrug it off.  

I appreciate all your good thoughts and tips.  I do try to keep positive and hope one day I will wake up and things will be back.  I know that I am still healing and it does take time.  

Thank you again and you take care as welll..  
I want to start off by saying i am so glad everyone here is communicating about their problems.  I read through every post and i'm happy to see i'm not the only one.  I fell off the side of an embankment and landed on the back of my head.  There was no skull fracture just a major concussion of which I could not walk for 2 days, and frequently threw up.

The next day my girl friend cooked breakfast (with bacon), and to my disgust... i could NOT taste or smell my favorite savory food. :( :( :(, it was at this point i knew I had a problem!

One thing no one has talked about is a CHANGE in smell. After my injury I had the same smell for about 4 months, it has almost consistently changed once a month (smell only)....

Does anyone else experience this? I'm not sure if its my brain healing or something worse as I have not had an MRI.

Thanks!
I got hit in the head back in Nov 2012, now when I watch TV I smell the things they show. Like food, Cut grass! And other things!! It's been really Weird! My wife says I have smell a vision!! What am I going through??
I had a fall a few months ago fractured the back of my head and I have bruising at the front. I have lost all taste and smell. Reacently I have tasted really strong tasting things but only ever so slitely. Today I have a really strong sweet burning smell and taste it's not nice at all. Have any if you had this and is this my senses starting to come back?
Did the OP ever return?  I just wanted to chime in my experience, but couldn't make it through all the replies visually.

I have suffered two brain injuries in the span of a year.  The first was an ABI reaction to antibiotics.  I did have my sense of smell and taste compromised.  (I could taste, but everything tasted rotten, and smell was reduced.)  It eventually returned after two months.

The second injury was a whiplash car incident.  I did not lost the sense of smell or taste at all that time.

I think smell and taste can regenerate, as olfactory nerves are some of the few that do regrow.  If the damage is actually not to the nerves, but to the brain processing the sense of smell and taste, I am less sure.  I hope the OP has recovered somewhat!
Hi Stewartyb  I know exactly what you are going through, it sounds just like what I am dealing with.  I previously posted on here earlier this summer that I had a fall and lost all smell and taste.  When my accident happened, I did have a stronger taste and smell and could eat things and taste them.   But about a month out from the accident, I totally lost both senses.  8 months out now, and I have awful tastes (burnt or very soapy and sometimes a chemical taste)  I really don't have any smell to speak of. I am a very healthy woman (56) and am not overweight, but I have friends who just do not understand this, they think if you look normal you must be fine!  I have had friends tell me that it is a great diet plan not being able to eat food or crave food, so far from the truth!  I have lost 11 pounds through all this though.  I am scheduled to go to the Smell and Taste clinic in Philadelphia, PA next month.  The Dr. there (Dr. Richard Doty) is very well known and although he may not be able to treat me, he will give me a plan on how bad it is.  You could google him if you are interested.  My best to you!  It really is not fun is it?  
This message isnt directed to anyone. I just spent 2 hours reading every single post that was written. My name is Patrick and i got jumped and knocked out last year in November. I spent 7 days in the hospital and had a 4 inch fracture on the back of my scull. My brain brain hemorrhaging to the point that i was one day away from having brain surgery. They would have removed part of my brain to allow space in case of more swelling. I was dealing with a lot of depression and emotional ups and downs while recovering. My doctor was head of neurology at Toronto Western (best neurology department in Toronto). He also had very few answers for me. Could come back, could not. If the nerve is severed below a certain point its never coming back but there is no way to know if it has been, I also have had burnt, chemical and soapy tastes. The real reason i am posting this is for two reasons. One. It is so nice letting all of these feelings out. Knowing im not the only one going through this. Its so hard for us because no one really knows what we are going through! Two. I want everyone that reads this that is going through it to know that you are not alone. Stay positive. It could be way way way worse. What i have done to cope and use this in a positive way, (not saying everyone should), Im treating my food like fuel, If i cant taste it or smell it, i might as well. Just do what you can to be ok with what has happened and try your best to move on and make the best of your life. Without knowing you just know i know what your going through and wish you all the best. Now and forever!
Just remember whats important....... Friends, family and LIFE!!!!!!!
Hello Every,
   I am so sorry to all of you and glad to know that i am not the only one either of the same problem, and doctor tells me the same , give it time, 6 months then one year then 2 years. i had a concussion after a motorcycle knocked me to the floor 18 months ago. at the beginning i did not have any sense of smell or taste except for sugar and salt in normal levels. then that kind of smoke that i smell for anything either real smoke or chicken or fish, same smell i get for all even flowers or perfumes.
it happens from time to time that i have a second of taste, last time was couple of months ago within a meal and i can say i have perfectly tasted what i eat, with all spices, but just for a second and it disappeared.

i wonder if it will get better or will always be like that as once in a while.
I would love to encourage everyone to be positive and optimistic and glad that worst things didn't happen to you.
I fell while ice skating and banged the back of my head at the beginning of February.  It is almost 7 weeks.  I had a fractured skull, severe concussion and two brain bleeds.  The fracture is healing and the bleeds are gone at this point.  But I have lost my sense of smell completely. The doctors have all told me that it could come back, but only partially.  Right now I sense a faint metallic smell all the time.  It isn't strong enough to be nauseating, but it is a constant. I am hopeful but if it never returns, I am also aware of how much worse this whole nightmare could have been.
I had a tbi also and have lost my sense of smell.  I used to be the only one in the room to smell anything before anyone else did. Now I feel that same sense of loss, but I am trying to keep in mind how some aromas used to make me sick too.   I used to think it would be great if I had just a slightly weaker sense of smell.  Be careful what you wish for.  
The dizziness most likely represents vertigo. Head injury can cause a problem with inner ear which controls balance. Try to find a neuro otologist to evaluate.Google Brandt-Daroff exercises for benign positional vertigo (BPV).They are are series of position changes done 3x per day which often help.
Viewing 201-204 comments: