Head trauma causes loss of smell/taste
I'm 17 years of age and recently (2 months ago) had an accident that has resulted in the loss of my sense of smell and taste. I was at a lake, swinging on a rope into the water but lost my grip and wnet head first down a cliff of rocks and roots. I landed in the water but had hit the back of my head (near the crown, at the top) splitting my head open and fracturing my skull (3-4 inches). The neurologists told me I had a severe concussion as well as contusions (bruising) near the front of my brain where I damaged the nerve endings. I also have a herniated disc located in my lower back which has pinched my sciatic nerve running to my left leg.

Since the fall I have experienced several changes. The main concern I have months later is my senses. I understand the brain is complex but I feel as though I haven't recieved satisfying answers from my doctors. My doctor gave me a 3-4 month time frame to see improvements with my senses. He said I could get my taste back slightly, fully or not at all, same goes for my smell. I could get both back, one or none. To date, I have not experienced improvement with taste but recently I have been noticing (for about 2 days now) my nose is sensitive and feels as though it's tingling and I constantly smell mild "burning" so to speak. I was just wondering if this is a positive notion toward recovery or common in all patients who suffer from losing their sense of smell. Is it likely I will return to normal within my lifetime?

Also, if anyone has ever heard of anyone losing their senses after head trauma and regaining/not regaining them. Please comment, any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks greatly!
To those with recent injuries and loss of smell and thus taste.... Hang in there and explore possibilities.  I lost mine 2 years ago from 2 TBIs a week apart (be careful with your balance) and have not given up hope that one day it will return. Until then, I am trying different things to try to help restore smell/taste. I take a lot of Vitamin Bs because it is good for nerve regrowth-hasn't woked yet- but who knows maybe it will work for you. I also discovered studies where rats supposedly had their sense of smell returned (nerve regrowth) by steroid injections into the nasal area. My doctor would not do it to me but gave me steroidal nasal spray.  It seemed to help me slightly with trigeminal nerve tastes (spicy, sweet,salty,sour) but not with olfactory nerve tastes. Of course it may have been psychosomatic.  And I say that it seemed to help- not that I could tell at the time- but only after using it foir about 6 months and stopping- I noticed that I had to use more salt and sweetner to even get a slight sensation of them.
Learn to appreciate texture and temperature.
Being pro-active helps you cope with the loss.
Hang in there. Hope this helps.
Wel, first of all, thank you for you original post and a huge thanks to all the discussion. My husband suffered a TBI in June 2012 (about 6 months ago now.) He fell from his bike during a triathlon. He had a fracture to the left side, hemorage and contusions to the right. He has done amazingly well, and it thrills me to read how well many of your doing. When they told us that 70 million people a year suffer head injuries that seemed like such a big number until you start talking to people. My husband is also still suffering from a loss of smell and taste. And yes, the only sense he has had, and only occaisionally, is the burning smell. He also feels spicy food on the back of his tongue but does not really taste it. He has a very mild sensation to salt. He has a good appetite though? This seems odd to the rest of us but i suppose if the stomach craves food it can bypass the senses.

One update, just recently I saw something on CNN, by Dr. Gupta, that there is more and more evidence of large doses of Omega 3 fish oils showing very positive effects on brain recovery and repair. I am pursuing this - let me know if anyone else does as well. Nancy
thank you alllllllll for ur comments ---- i wish u all peace & hope --- i came to this site bcos my son had a headvinjury that resulted in loss of ssmell ----- & his symptoms & feedback from dr's  is exactly what you all dedcribed---- thanks to all who posted the reminder to be thankful the outcome of accident wasnt worse   B-)   <3    thanks    
Hi.. Was reading your problem about Vertigo. My mother suffered this problem  for about 20 years and it was getting verse every year. God was kind that one day I met a Acupuncture Doctor in Chennai, India. He gave one sitting of acupuncture treatment and my mother never got Vertigo attacks after that. It's been 2 years now. You can try this treatment as it has no side effect...
I don't have brain damage or loss of taste, but i do have a herniated disc in my lower back that pinched my sciatic nerve running to my left leg & it totally ***** so i can empathize with you! It basically ruined my life for a whole month while my leg & foot were completely numb while going through physical therapy & what not. It sucked even worse for the period of time before i actually got put into physical therapy also because all the doctors i went to before going to the ER & getting real treatment didn't even believe me when i told them about my symptoms, i have no idea why.. But don't go to Dr. Foot at Instacare in Davis County. He is a HORRIBLE doctor, really.
this sounds EXACTLY like what is happening to me.  especially the "sweet burning smell" mine has almost an antiseptic smell to it as well.
Its been 10 years since I got anosmia after an incident where I banged my head pretty hard, but it didnt split open or anything. And its been truly hard these years. I can smell things other cannot smell, like, if I heat a hot and spicy meal, I can smell it from my armpits. And it really stinks, and it took a long while before I dared to ask a close friend if it really smelled. To my relief it did not smell anything at all to him. So I have been showering 90% more than usual because of that annoyance..and showering doesnt really help. Simply eating is horrible , nothing taste good or satisfying, except for sour or salty liqurice candy. Nutritous shakes have been nice at times, but I can only drink those for so long. I am down to 120pounds, it does not look like I am falling apart, but inside I have been screaming the past years. I learned about anosmia via the internet. And I have been reading recently about a new form of MRI that could temporarily help alot with smell and taste disorders. I just gotta hope that kind of MRI arrives in my country sooner than later.
I wrote the post at 5 Am and I need to correct "heat" into "eat." This issue is just so bothersome, smelling stuff others cant, and at the same time not being able to smell the most obvious smells. I once was visiting a friend who did not know about my issues, and yada yada, a pillow caught fire and I did not smell anything with my back turned. Safe to say I had to explain why.
Hi!  

I just searched and found this forum.  I hope since time has passed that things are better for you.   The reason I am writing you is, you described my symptoms completely.  I constantly smell burnt wood or smell like someone is smoking near me, no one is.   Both sense of smell and taste are gone, and I have no appetite to speak of.   I had a fall 3 months ago while waiting in line to get a sandwich at a local restaurant.   I have no recollection of the fall and none of being transported to the hospital where I spent 5 nights in ICU.   I fractured my skull and hit the front of the head ending up with 2 black eyes and more damage to the sinus cavities.  The neurologist said I had a seizure, which I have never had before.   He put me on a high dosage of anti seizure meds and since then I have changed Drs.  The new Dr. looked at all my tests, paperwork, etc. and said I did not have a seizure, that this accident happened more than likely due to a heart issue.  He referred me to a cardio Dr. which I have seen and he has ordered some tests which I will have next week.  Tilt table test and a 24 hour heart monitor.   I am a 55 year old woman who is very healthy otherwise.  No history of heart problems.  I hope you are doing better and am very thankful to have found this forum.  
Hi!  

4 years ago I too took a fall of the wing of an airplane. Although it appears that I landed feet first I crumped and slammed my head backwards into the payment. The fall shattered my neck (broke the C-2, shattered the C-4) requiring surgery and caged fusion of C-3 to C-5, last year they completed the fusion to included the C-6. I wore a halo for months. I also broke my lower back and had a massive TBI with closed skull fracture in 4 places to the back of my skull. The 'bounce' was so sever that I had bleeding in the frontal lobes and the rear of my brain. It wasn't for 3 months that i realized that I could not smell anything at all which was the reason I couldn't smell either. (I also have no sensation of hot or cold on my enitire left side). They did a CTscan on my brain and discovered that the impact of the TBI and smashed the smell nerons that sit on the boney shelf at the bridge of the nose and 'sorry' was all they could say. After 4 years the taste has not returned but I have found that strong coffee can give me a bitter taste at times, Chocolate is on the side of the tounge, and your heat taste buds are in  the back of my throat so I use a lot of peppers in my cooking now because I want some sensation of flavor otherwise I have no want to eat, appetite is gone. I have faith that my brain in time will rewire itself do to God's might creation and yes, every now and then I get a smell in my nose like something electrical is burning and you can not make it go away.....it finally does after a few hours though.

I miss the smell of horses the most :-)

I miss the smell of horses the most :-)
4 years ago I too took a fall of the wing of an airplane. Although it appears that I landed feet first I crumped and slammed my head backwards into the payment. The fall shattered my neck (broke the C-2, shattered the C-4) requiring surgery and caged fusion of C-3 to C-5, last year they completed the fusion to included the C-6. I wore a halo for months. I also broke my lower back and had a massive TBI with closed skull fracture in 4 places to the back of my skull. The 'bounce' was so sever that I had bleeding in the frontal lobes and the rear of my brain. It wasn't for 3 months that i realized that I could not smell anything at all which was the reason I couldn't smell either. (I also have no sensation of hot or cold on my enitire left side). They did a CTscan on my brain and discovered that the impact of the TBI and smashed the smell nerons that sit on the boney shelf at the bridge of the nose and 'sorry' was all they could say. After 4 years the taste has not returned but I have found that strong coffee can give me a bitter taste at times, Chocolate is on the side of the tounge, and your heat taste buds are in  the back of my throat so I use a lot of peppers in my cooking now because I want some sensation of flavor otherwise I have no want to eat, appetite is gone. I have faith that my brain in time will rewire itself do to God's might creation and yes, every now and then I get a smell in my nose like something electrical is burning and you can not make it go away.....it finally does after a few hours though. I thought the meds were the reason my taste was off but 4 years later....its still gone.

I miss the smell of horses the most :-)
My son has TBI and it has almost been 2 years. His injury is a lot more server than your injury. It is hard to find out for sure even though he can chat with us and eat a normal diet, but I am 99% sure his taste buds are still effected. He can eat just about anything and the main response we get when asked,is, it is cold or hot, but he is not able to tell us what it tastes like.
I hope your life is still improving :)

Hello brittany. I am slowly entering this world concerning your problem.
I have something really exciting to tell you.

I know about this problem because my friend David suffers from this issue. Now, I do not have full conclusive evidence of a returning sense of smell. I do have factual evidence that after doing energy work with me he was smelling immediate smells of the incense i was burning, and it seemed to him taste was coming back in food, he was using his nose again. I had to leave Costa Rica so we only got about 3 sessions in. Still. I think its amazing that we got the results we did.

I later found out this is a very big problem and a lot of people suffer from it. Thoughts in my head are to continue this with other people, and maybe start up a center somewhere. right now i'm moving around seattle canada and california.  
Hey Brittany, I seen your post. I'm sorry for what happened for what happened to you, i hope you're feeling better.

I am going through the same injury, except i was involved in a hit and run accident, some idiot ran me completely over while i was walking across the crosswalk, and i was diagnosed with a skull fracture, a small bruise, and some bleeding in my brain. I was suffering a concussion.

And it's been exactly one month sense my accident, and i can only taste certain foods, such as: salty foods, sweets, fruits and vegetables.. Everything else either tastes like burning plastic, or nothing at all. And same with smell, i can only smell certain things, or absolutely nothing.
And i'm really concerned whether if this is permanent or if it's part of the healing process.
Have you experienced anything like that as far as taste and smell goes?
I fell and hit my head on the ground over 2 months ago, had a concussion which caused my loss of smell 100% and taste I would say 75%.
I can only taste salty, sour, spicy and sweet things but can not taste the actual food that I'm eating.
As everyone had mentioned, the neurologist said that it might come back and it might not.
It's not a good feeling when you can't smell people, places and food, I'm hoping to find a treatment center/clinic that specializes in this and ready to sign up.
Seeing everyone's posts has made me realize how common the loss of smell and taste is due to TMI. My accident occurred over a year ago and I remember distinctly when my neurologist told me if it does not return in 1 year, it is unlikely you will ever get it back. I don't believe him for a second and like many of the posters I sometimes smell a burning smoky smell, usually when I am showering. And as I notice, it disappears. I still suffer from dizzy spells even after 8 weeks of physio. I just sit down now and it passes. The thing is if you are 70% ok, post accident....they can't do anything for you anymore.

I often referred to my sense of smell as my super power pre TMI. I could tell if my daughter was getting sick 2 days before she showed symptoms. I could smell what others could not. Losing it was devastating for me, but I just told myself, losing it can't be without a reason or lesson. I truly hope it returns. In the meantime try to cook with more spice as your taste buds do work and you can almost trick your brain into thinking it can smell. One thing I have noticed, raw foods (vegies and fruits) uncooked allow some taste (of course only sweet, salty, sour, bitter). Look at a diagram of the tongue and test it out!

Promise, the small things can get you through the worst days. My first thanksgiving, the smell of worms on a rainy day, the smell of my husband and daughter. I remember them and miss them dearly. But on the positive side? I can ride a bus on a hot summer day without the bad smells that are associated with it, someone once threw up on the bus and I was the only one that did not gag, my daughter tells me I am lucky I can't smell my husband's farts, I don't smell the grease when walking in a food court, the perfume section in Sears doesn't make me run....the list goes on. Try to focus on the good....I try to.
TBI....silly rabbit I am.
I just read your post Jacinda and had to laugh.  There is a "positive" in ways with this not being able to smell or taste.  I made Jambayla for my husband today and he likes it very very spicy.  I prepared it and he came downstairs and made the comment that it smelled wonderful and couldn't wait to eat!  I didn't smell a thing, even when I put my face in the pot!  He has been very very supportive and feels bad about me not being able to smell or taste.  It has been nearly 7 months now for me and it keeps going from having very weird tastes (soapy taste, chemical taste and a very very annoying burnt smell.  Almost to the point to where I wish I had NO taste at all.  I am scheduled to go to the Smell and Taste center in Philadelphia near the end of the year.  I have read quite a bit about the Dr. who heads up the program there.  Dr. Richard Doty.  My Neurologist and ENT here do not thing I will ever regain my sense back. I have good days and bad days, but am starting to get more depressed about it.  I had a fall and was in ICU for 5 nights.  Diagnosed with TBI and fractured my skull.  I fell forward and then went straight back to the floor.  Had brain bleeding and luckily did not have to have surgery.  All in all, I am so fortunate that it wasn't worse.
Hi Pam...some days are harder. Especially when people are either accosted by a bad smell and ask automatically....DID YOU SMELL THAT? Or here, smell my new perfume....or doesn't that meal smell wonderful? I usually respond with humor and tell them they are an insensitive boob.

I think my hubby has it hardest as he loves to cook and try new things, or asks me what I want for supper. But the cravings are gone without taste. I don't really care what I eat. And there is no reaction to his latest creation from me so it is hard for those closest to us. So tell me was the Jambayla too spicy? Do you also find some spicy food that makes people sweat,  actually tastes sweet?

I always say, our bodies are magical and will repair themselves in time. We just have to not give up hope.

I was hit by a wanna be Lance Armstrong cyclist while out walking my dogs. I was thrown out of my shoes as he hit me head on and my head hit the pavement. Blacked out, convulsed based on my hubby who was ten feet away. Prognosis was concussion, TBI, C1 and C2 fractures, stitches to my head, brain bleeding that stopped and no surgery was required either...thank you Batman for small favors. I was in a oh so lovely neck brace for 8 weeks.....no balance,,,,took physio to help with that. It's been a ride. I am at the 13 month mark and even though I still have some short term memory issues and balance issues the one thing that hurts the most is my lack of smell.

I feel where you are at and just know that sometimes life deals us a crappy hand....what we do with it makes the difference. So if a dark cloud is surrounding your world.....visualize white light and see it penetrating through your head and body. Ok....so some say I am a bit of a witch....but I do believe we can heal ourselves. We just need to embrace what this experience entered our lives for.

Take care of you Pam.
Thanks for responding!  And yes, you are so right about when people who do not understand say silly things like, try this, smell this, it gets very annoying.  I even have a friend who keeps telling me that not having a smell or taste is a good diet plan!  I couldn't believe that.  I know that she truly does not understand and I just shrug it off.  

I appreciate all your good thoughts and tips.  I do try to keep positive and hope one day I will wake up and things will be back.  I know that I am still healing and it does take time.  

Thank you again and you take care as welll..  
I want to start off by saying i am so glad everyone here is communicating about their problems.  I read through every post and i'm happy to see i'm not the only one.  I fell off the side of an embankment and landed on the back of my head.  There was no skull fracture just a major concussion of which I could not walk for 2 days, and frequently threw up.

The next day my girl friend cooked breakfast (with bacon), and to my disgust... i could NOT taste or smell my favorite savory food. :( :( :(, it was at this point i knew I had a problem!

One thing no one has talked about is a CHANGE in smell. After my injury I had the same smell for about 4 months, it has almost consistently changed once a month (smell only)....

Does anyone else experience this? I'm not sure if its my brain healing or something worse as I have not had an MRI.

Thanks!
I got hit in the head back in Nov 2012, now when I watch TV I smell the things they show. Like food, Cut grass! And other things!! It's been really Weird! My wife says I have smell a vision!! What am I going through??
I had a fall a few months ago fractured the back of my head and I have bruising at the front. I have lost all taste and smell. Reacently I have tasted really strong tasting things but only ever so slitely. Today I have a really strong sweet burning smell and taste it's not nice at all. Have any if you had this and is this my senses starting to come back?
Did the OP ever return?  I just wanted to chime in my experience, but couldn't make it through all the replies visually.

I have suffered two brain injuries in the span of a year.  The first was an ABI reaction to antibiotics.  I did have my sense of smell and taste compromised.  (I could taste, but everything tasted rotten, and smell was reduced.)  It eventually returned after two months.

The second injury was a whiplash car incident.  I did not lost the sense of smell or taste at all that time.

I think smell and taste can regenerate, as olfactory nerves are some of the few that do regrow.  If the damage is actually not to the nerves, but to the brain processing the sense of smell and taste, I am less sure.  I hope the OP has recovered somewhat!
Hi Stewartyb  I know exactly what you are going through, it sounds just like what I am dealing with.  I previously posted on here earlier this summer that I had a fall and lost all smell and taste.  When my accident happened, I did have a stronger taste and smell and could eat things and taste them.   But about a month out from the accident, I totally lost both senses.  8 months out now, and I have awful tastes (burnt or very soapy and sometimes a chemical taste)  I really don't have any smell to speak of. I am a very healthy woman (56) and am not overweight, but I have friends who just do not understand this, they think if you look normal you must be fine!  I have had friends tell me that it is a great diet plan not being able to eat food or crave food, so far from the truth!  I have lost 11 pounds through all this though.  I am scheduled to go to the Smell and Taste clinic in Philadelphia, PA next month.  The Dr. there (Dr. Richard Doty) is very well known and although he may not be able to treat me, he will give me a plan on how bad it is.  You could google him if you are interested.  My best to you!  It really is not fun is it?  
This message isnt directed to anyone. I just spent 2 hours reading every single post that was written. My name is Patrick and i got jumped and knocked out last year in November. I spent 7 days in the hospital and had a 4 inch fracture on the back of my scull. My brain brain hemorrhaging to the point that i was one day away from having brain surgery. They would have removed part of my brain to allow space in case of more swelling. I was dealing with a lot of depression and emotional ups and downs while recovering. My doctor was head of neurology at Toronto Western (best neurology department in Toronto). He also had very few answers for me. Could come back, could not. If the nerve is severed below a certain point its never coming back but there is no way to know if it has been, I also have had burnt, chemical and soapy tastes. The real reason i am posting this is for two reasons. One. It is so nice letting all of these feelings out. Knowing im not the only one going through this. Its so hard for us because no one really knows what we are going through! Two. I want everyone that reads this that is going through it to know that you are not alone. Stay positive. It could be way way way worse. What i have done to cope and use this in a positive way, (not saying everyone should), Im treating my food like fuel, If i cant taste it or smell it, i might as well. Just do what you can to be ok with what has happened and try your best to move on and make the best of your life. Without knowing you just know i know what your going through and wish you all the best. Now and forever!
Just remember whats important....... Friends, family and LIFE!!!!!!!
Hello Every,
   I am so sorry to all of you and glad to know that i am not the only one either of the same problem, and doctor tells me the same , give it time, 6 months then one year then 2 years. i had a concussion after a motorcycle knocked me to the floor 18 months ago. at the beginning i did not have any sense of smell or taste except for sugar and salt in normal levels. then that kind of smoke that i smell for anything either real smoke or chicken or fish, same smell i get for all even flowers or perfumes.
it happens from time to time that i have a second of taste, last time was couple of months ago within a meal and i can say i have perfectly tasted what i eat, with all spices, but just for a second and it disappeared.

i wonder if it will get better or will always be like that as once in a while.
I would love to encourage everyone to be positive and optimistic and glad that worst things didn't happen to you.
I fell while ice skating and banged the back of my head at the beginning of February.  It is almost 7 weeks.  I had a fractured skull, severe concussion and two brain bleeds.  The fracture is healing and the bleeds are gone at this point.  But I have lost my sense of smell completely. The doctors have all told me that it could come back, but only partially.  Right now I sense a faint metallic smell all the time.  It isn't strong enough to be nauseating, but it is a constant. I am hopeful but if it never returns, I am also aware of how much worse this whole nightmare could have been.
I had a tbi also and have lost my sense of smell.  I used to be the only one in the room to smell anything before anyone else did. Now I feel that same sense of loss, but I am trying to keep in mind how some aromas used to make me sick too.   I used to think it would be great if I had just a slightly weaker sense of smell.  Be careful what you wish for.  
The dizziness most likely represents vertigo. Head injury can cause a problem with inner ear which controls balance. Try to find a neuro otologist to evaluate.Google Brandt-Daroff exercises for benign positional vertigo (BPV).They are are series of position changes done 3x per day which often help.
Hi How are you getting on? I fell and hit back of my head experinecing Extreme Nausea vomiting,Dizziness etc about same time as you. Now I 've noticed this Strange sense of taste /Smell in back of nose mouth metallic/sulphurous Had MRI scan but no apparent damage. Have you noticed any changes improvement??
I had a similar experience.  Last Nov 2013, I passed out and fell back on tile in a store - woman behind told my friend she heard my head pop.  I had a fractured skull on lower right temporal area with brain bruising/ear bleed.  Transported to ICU for multiple tests, then day later to ward and discharged after 4 days.  In Dec 2013, my doc said brain had healed - concussion would take some time.  In Jan 2014, I noticed losing smell and taste - also a horrible odor I describe as tile paste/glue - sometimes almost toxic and makes me sick.  Still have it in May 2014.  After fall, I had to see multiple docs.  They don't know why I passed out - think blood pressure but not sure.  Thought heart so I wore a 30-day event monitor - but my heart is great.  Saw a Neurologist in Jan 2014 and he did tests.  I kept having headaches/scalp pain and every doc I saw told me it would take time.  Also started having balance issues, thought/speech issues and I noticed it was hard for me to handwrite anything.  In Feb 2014, one day I had a headache that wouldn't stop. Went to local ER and was told I had a subdural hematoma that had been there a while and had turned into a mass, indented my brain and also shifted my brain.  Surgery the next day - 2 bur holes drilled.  CT scans almost every 2 weeks since surgery - part of hematoma remains and the last scan showed it is decreasing.  But my Neurologist also wanted me on seizure meds which I haven't taken - my surgeon didn't think I needed them.  I know what the med can do and felt I needed to give my brain/head time to heal and not go through the mood swings.  I am improving, but smell/taste the same.  My ENT doc also told me about how the nerves sever and this is how you lose the sense of smell.  He also said I might never get it back.  My surgeon stated that since the temporal area is where smell is located - the fall probably was my reason.  It isn't a pleasant odor to have every day and not until I found this site did I have others who share any of what I have been going through.  My hope is that everyone who has responded heals and goes back to as much a normal life as possible.
I've had 2 different TBIs; the first was in 2005, I was on a bus at LAX and the bus driver freaked and suddenly stopped the bus and I went face first into the luggage rack. I told everyone I was fine and I just wanted to continue to fly home. Since I was on travel orders I had to be seen by a doctor to be released to go back to work. I went back to work but I struggled to do my daily functions (programming and other related tasks) and I started getting lost and had horrible headaches. I went my normal doctor in 2006 and she decided to do an MRI, I had had one in 2004 and when the radiologist compared the two. I was diagnosed with dementia and told to get my affairs in order!  I was referred to a neurologist for further testing.  He told me I had had major brain trauma from the bus accident.  He put me on medication and suggested brain exercises.  After a few years I was able to do some programming, but I was able to find other types of work.  My second one happened in 2009; I was riding on the back of my boyfriend’s motorcycle when an animal darted in front of the bike. Thank god we were in full gear and helmets; I don’t remember anything from the accident. My boyfriend said when he got to me I said I was okay and that I wanted to go to the hotel. The next morning he rode the bike home and came back in the truck to take me home. When we go home I took a shower and saw the blood in the shower from my head and I had major pain in my shoulder. I told him I should go to the ER; they immediately did a scan and sure enough I had a broken caller bone, a fractured skull and bleeding of the brain! They wanted to medevac me to another hospital but the helicopter wasn’t available. So I was taken by ambiance to southern California. I really don’t remember much until about a week or two later when I went home. My shoulder healed and all the cuts and bruises went away. But the trauma to my brain seemed different than the first; I was in a total fog. I knew things were happening around me but they didn’t make much since. I slept sitting up for the first month or two and I slept a lot!  Long story short among other things in the accident I had some hearing loss in my right ear, lost the sense of smell and taste.  My neurologist is great, he told me it may or may not come back; it’s now 2014 and I still can’t describe what I taste; it’s either sweet, sour or YUCK!  I think the thing I miss most is the small of rain, bacon and flowers.  One funny note; the type of hearing loss was to only certain types of frequencies (like crickets and alarms (high pitches), I hate crickets and if one gets in the bedroom at night I just have to lay on my left side and I can go to sleep. My doctor told me that if I have one more brain injury I will more than likely be a vegetable or die. He told me never to ride on a bike again, play sports and if I’m going to any sport event (like soccer) I needed to wear a helmet and no driving in convertibles.  Up until a year ago I did as he told me and then I began to miss riding with my boyfriend. So I decided since the Lord has a plan for me, I would continue to do what I love and go for rides on the bike.  Other things I’m still pretty cautious, but hey he has by back!  Like many of you I get depressed and angry; but what I think saves me am I known the Lord is always with me!
Hi.  I also had a concussion/brain bleed from hitting my head during an ice skating accident.  I lost my taste and smell for a little over a year.  It did finally come back, but just yesterday I noticed that it seems to be fading again.  I'm also very fatigued and forget little words here and there or mix them up.  For instance, I say "just put it in the garage" when I mean the refrigerator.  

How have you been feeling?

Heather
Hi, I'm new to this. I recently fell while walking. I only hit my chin and front tooth which had to be replaced. A month later I've got very diminished taste. I can taste some things that are very sweet but not much else. Occasionally, I think it might be coming back but then it kind of reverses itself again. I can seem to smell things though. Does anyone know if this sounds like it was from head trauma. I never blacked out. I just landed face first.
I was in a car accident when I was 16 and fractured my skull in 3 different places and had internal bleeding. I lost my sense of smell completely and was told I severed my olfactory nerves and would likely never gain my smell back. I am now 40 and am starting to smell again. Not everything, but I'm actually smelling things! I can smell the coffee brewing in the morning. It's strawberry season here and I have a large basket of fresh picked berries in the fridge. I can smell them when I open the fridge door. The odours are not strong, but they're there! It's giving me hope that my smell will return fully one day and I hope this gives others hope as well.
I am new to this site, but not new to no sense of smell. Dec. 2011 i fell backwards on the ice, legs straight up. Was able to sit up but very dizzy. I felt like throwing up, but i made it inside. I went to the ERthe next day since i had the pounding head ache, and keep throwing up. (I am sure many of you rember that feeling). I did have a concussion and was given meds to stop throwing up. 2 weeks later a person asked me if i liked the smell of a candle. I held it to my nose and NOTHING . Went to the doc, sent to an ENT doc and was told the nasal  nerves were sliced off when my brain was thrown around from the fall. I do get strange smells, but not the right ones. It is good to know that the over eating is common. I will watch my self more. If i do not get my sense of smell back, i will have the memories. Hang in there gang, you are not alone.
Info about my accident
Hello, I suffered a TBI about 13 or so months ago.  I was knocked unconcscious and put into an induced coma for 6 weeks, following that was a very long road to recovery (... still on in mind) including living in a hospital for 7 months.  About 6 or so months into this I discovered I can no longer smell (Have also lost 95% of my hearing in one ear -'treated' by a hearingaid).  I used to be and still am a good chef, however that lack of smell makes things har now.  luckily I still seem to have most of my taste, just also aware that it has probably changed.  I was told by two different doctors that my smell and hearing may return after about 2 years, and one doctor that it was likely gone forever.  So far it has not returned atall yet.

Everyso often (for about 1minute every 2 weeks) I seem to catch a faint smell of something, but if I'm honest this could easily be my brain playing tricks on me.  certainly daily tests with 'perfumes' show no improvements.
oh also, feel I should say I take quite a bit of happiness from reading there are other people who share similar issues  Thank you all for sharing.  In some way, it helps me to deal with the majority of the issues I now ace knowing that it isn't just me suffering from them.  Thanks.
info about my TBI:  http://robbarton7.wix.com/1111#!home/mainPage
Hi i was just reading and i got hit from out of know where by my exes boyfriend on the street he hit me with a hammer when i was walking away and had a fractured scull this happened the day  after boxing day then on sat a lad attacked me but with his fist and was scared because of my tbi and tryed to protect my head shall i go docs and see wot they say
Personally I would.  Will probe me nothing, but nice to check.  If I ever have any knock to the head now I deaf will do