Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Headache when I touch my hair

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Headache when I touch my hair

I rarely have headaches.
When I do I know what the cause is. Either lack of caffeine or lack of fluids (dehidration).
About 5 days ago started this headache, in the middle (neither front nor back) left side of my head. The main characteristic of the headache is that it felt most when the hair around this area is touched, even slightly.
The first day or two the pain was mainly in the left temple and now it's mainly the scalp and some radiation to left ear.
Any help or advise would be highly appreciated.

Two possibilities can be there.Firstly,it can be migraine headaches. This type of headache is commonly one-sided and can present with scalp tenderness. Stress is one of the most important factors for the precipitation of migraine headaches. Treatment of migraine involves using a cold compress to the area of pain, resting in a room with little or no sensory stimulation (light, sound, and odors), Withdrawing from stressful surroundings and sleeping. You can also try OTC pain killers. If still the symptoms persist, then please consult a physician for specific anti-migraine therapy.

Second possibility is of temporal arteritis. Temporal arteritis is inflammation and damage to blood vessels that supply the head area, particularly the large or medium arteries that branch from the neck.Diagnosed by clinical examination and investigations like ESR and CRP and biopsy of tissue from the artery.Treatment is by corticosteroids.

Pls discuss these possibilities with a physician and get yourself evaluated.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.

An allergic reaction can precipitate headache but scalp tenderness on touching the hair is unusual with it.Allergic sinusitis can cause feeling of fullness in the ears and headache.Are you having any runny nose or sinus congestion?

Inner ear problems like labrynthitis and meniere’s disease can cause dizziness and headache but that too is unrelated to tactile allodynia i.e tenderness on touching.

I feel that either migraine or temporal arteritis can be a cause.Migraine is a very common cause for such headaches.Temporal arteritis is not lifethreatening and is treatable.Pls consult a physician for evaluation.

Hope it helps.Take care and regards.