Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Left Temporal lobe damage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Left Temporal lobe damage

My husband suffered a TBI 2 years ago and is still in a rehab center with not much progress. He moves on command occasionally, but therapy is not working with him other than range of motion. Months after the accident he was moving his arms and legs and kissing me when I kissed him. He was doing good with full therapy, but stopped responding and insurance stopped approving it. Does anyone have any suggestions of what myself and the family can do to help him progress? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can get him to respond to me occassionally, but not consistently. I need help...
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
You have to first find out the nature and extent of damage. Consult a neuro-psychiatrist and find the extent of damage to speech, motor function, judgment, impulse control, problem solving capacity, memory, language and language-related movement (like of tongue, jaw, hands, expression etc), spontaneity and social behavior. Once this is assessed, you will have to start a program consisting of physical, language/speech & occupational therapy. Training exercises for language and speech, problem solving, mental exercises, muscle movement etc will have to be learnt by you and your family to help him. Many visual aids can be used for this. You will have to discuss this with a neuro-psychiatrist. Take care!