Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Long Term Effects of Arachnoid cysts on memory and mood
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Long Term Effects of Arachnoid cysts on memory and mood

I am a 47 yo engineering professional and I had an arachnoid cyst (14 cm x 5 cm x 2.5 cm) that was diagnosed in Jan that was addressed 3/28 with a Ventricular Peritoneal Shunt.  The shunt drained the cyst completely and collapsed the top of my brain into the area where the cyst used to reside.  The collapse of the top of the brain into the cyst area caused bleeding that had to be drained during an operation 6/1.  The doctor also closed the valve in the shunt to allow for the CSF to build back up in my brain.  The shunt will be turned back on when the brain tissue is back in place and the cranial pressure is at a desired level.  I gave all this background to ask if this whole process (which actually started when I was born with this cyst) could actually cause memory and mood issues.  I have always had a bad short term memory that has been getting apparently worse over the past 4-5 years.  In addition, my wife states (and my children agree) that my mood switches very quickly and I lose my temper very easily.  I had always been a laid back and relaxed person.  I realize that this is no longer the case and I am realizing that this change is very real.  My Neurologist and neurologists in general state that memory and mood effects are not considered symptoms of these types of cysts.  Is there anyone who has any experience with this issue and has an opinion or advice?      
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I am 19 years old and have finally realized that I should know more about my cyst, I have being doing research and asking my parents everything they know about the cyst I had at birth.

My mom said it is in the left side of my brian in the memory section.
My parents found out I had this cyst due to the numerous seizers I was having at such a young age, and so randomly.

The cyst I have is "Arachoid Cyst" I have learned to control my seizers, I can feel the brain activity and it almost makes me kinda of sick mixed with a real bad hunger at the bottom pit of my stomache. Sometimes when I am really hungry I am not sure if it is because of the actual lack of food, or a seizer about to arise.

I to have really bad memory loss, and grow really angry really fast, it has gotten to the point where I ask myself, "What is wrong with me?" why is it that I get so extremly upset, when I try so hard to live a stress free life, surround myself with good people, love, and good times.
Sometimes I'll just get upset over the dumbest things, AND I KNOW IT! I literally have to move from wherever I am try to find a quiet spot and tell myself I do not need to be this angry!

My whole life growing up I can never remeber being able to hear out of my lfet ear. I find it so hard to hear, so many of my friends get annoyed with me, because they hate repeating themselves, and I always ask "what?"  , "what did you say?"

Anyways I have never even heard of someone else going through what I have, and I am really interested in hearing back from you,

Blank
I am 33 years of age and was diagnosed with an Arachnoid cyst in my left temporal lobe in summer 2006. This came to light after suffering from severe headaches all my life. After consultation and examination with a neurosurgeon at UWI Hospital in Jamaica, I was told that my cyst post no long-term problems as it was not growing. The neurosurgeon prescribed traumacet and  apo ranitidine.

I stopped taking the medication after just two months because I could not maintain a normal life. I would always be drowsy and sleeping.

I am noticing now more and more that I am unable to remember simple things. This is especially evident in my short-term memory. Whenever I don't eat, I become dizzy and get headaches that lasts sometimes for a full week. No brand of painkillers ever assist with easing the pain. I have taken so many painkillers that I lost my gallbladder in 2012. I am always tied and lethargic, no matter how much sleep I get.

I have noticed that if I wake and jump out of bed immediately, I am unable to steady myself. I have to open my eyes and lay in bed for a few minutes. I have submitted scans of my brain to NIH in the past and have been told that nothing seems to be wrong.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank