Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Occipital pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Occipital pain

Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but here goes. For the past few months, I have been getting pain on the left side of the base of my skull. The right side bumps out just slightly (seperating skull & neck, I mean), as it should, but the left side's bump is MUCH bigger. It has been that way for as long as I can remember, but it is only now causing me pain, and even more recently, the feeling of pressure.

I have also been getting headaches on the left side of my head very often, whereas I used to rarely get them at all.
The area is not really sensitive to the touch, and it just hurts randomly during any activity. It doesn't always hurt. I also will rarely get a burning sensation in my head.
My neck has been feeling a little weaker for the last few months as well, usually in the car. I also get nauseas often, but I have always had that sort of problem, just moreso now.
It doesn't cause any other problems.

I'm not sure if it could have anything to do with my wisdom teeth growing in (they're impacted), but I doubt it.
As an extra, for the last two nights, my eyes have started to get blurry and a bit irritated. I know that's probably to recent, and I suspect it is unrelated, but I thought I'd mention it.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
This could be a case of occipital neuralgia. A MRI of the cervical spine should be done focusing only on C1-3 and also look at C1-2 instability.
A stiff neck due to muscle contraction can also cause occipital headaches. There is a possibility of compression of first 2-3 cervical spinal nerves. Please consult a neurologist regarding this. Take care!
Hi, I am new to this website and came across your question.

I have a brain condition called "Arnold Chiari Malformation" and i also get occipital preasure headaches with neck pain which are quite severe at times and are brought on by coughing,sneezing,laughing,on exertion and stress and sometimes pain mostly down my right side and sometimes affect my walking. I also get numbness in my right hand and have short term memory loss,stutter and can't get my words out even though i know what i want to say. There are many other symptoms to this condition.

I had an MRI scan which showed this condition 7 years ago now. At one point i thought i was going crazy before i was diagnosed, even my GP told me at one point that i was a hypochondriac, but i knew what i was experiencing was real, so go and get yourself checked out by a neurologist.