Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Post concussive disorder, sudden auditory hallucinations. Please help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Hi, i was diagnosed with a concussion 6 months ago after a 85lb metal door fell and hit on the head. I suffer from post concussive disorder. I have constant headache that have never stopped since the incidents, dizzyness, nausea, vomiting, memory loss, balance issues, and my most recent symptom is auditory hallucinations. The auditory hallucinations have come on suddenly and they aggravate my headaches even more. I can not get in to see my neurologist because she does not do emergency appointments. The medications i am already taking barely work, what can i do to stop the auditory hallucinations? Please help, any advice would be appreciated!!
Hi, I don't usually answer posts but I have a lot of auditory problems since my tbi so I wanted to share what helps me. I would first look into the meds. Some like topamax made everything worse for me. The sound of life was unbearable. I am super sensitive to different motors and even cell phone signals. There are so many factors that can influence my sound problems from what I eat to the weather, to how many people have their IPhones on and to what proximity are they standing to me.
The answer may seem too simple but it is the only thing that helps me when my brain is so overloaded my own voice cannot be tolerated. Go in a dark quiet room. Put on ear plugs and a sleep mask and do NOTHING. let your brain rest and calm down. At its worst I had to come homed from work and isolate myself the entire evening. other days, 30minutes can help.give it a try  you will be glad you did.
Thanks so much for your tips, it feels good to know that someone truly understands what i am going through. Its weird because Topamax doesnt work for me either. I wear my earplugs non stop or i cant leave my house. I will definitely get a sleep mask and isolate myself! I appreciate you responding to my post:-)
Boy do I know....it's tough thinking you are the only one, I felt that way so much. My injury was 6yrs this coming Nov. Have had a headache ever since. Everyday, all the time. Careful with the earplugs. Now I still wear them to sleep but try with everything in me to not wear them during the day unless absolutely necessary. After my topamax experience I got so ultra sensitive I had to wear ear plugs when I was alone in a room. I write then so much I caused my self to become even more sensitive. Think of it like a cut you out a bandaid on to protect. The skin actually becomes more tender when you finally take the bandaid off. If was a tough time. But during that time I stumbled upon something called pink noise. Now white noise keeps my brain wide awake no matter how tired my body is (found out the hard way there too!) But pink noise will bring down the elevated brain waves for me. I hi on you tube and just play it a couple times. You can actually feel you brain changed. In fact, I just listened to it so I could post tonight.
Leery me knitter if you find anything that helps you
Im so sorry to hear that you have been struggling with your headaches for almost six years now. You really inspire me because if you have been able to make it this long than maybe i will too because some days i just dont feel like i can... I was not familiar with pink noise so i jumped on youtube like you suggested and listened to it for a while. I also just recently downloaded some relaxation sounds to my phone, like (niagra fall, sounds of the ocean, rain, etc) before listening to these things i would sleep for about 35 mins a day now im up to two hours, so there is a slight improvement:-) Thanks for everything and if i come across anything that helps, i will definitely let you know!!
glad things are getting a little better for you. I apologize for the typos....I an using my smart phone and I can't follow the words because it bothers my eyes/brain.
It sounded that while things are better there is still a problem. When you mentioned you phone it occurred to me that you are probably nit aware of the silent offenders that could be elevating your brain waves keeping you from sleep. I don't use medical tends because most drs don't seem to have much of a clue. I have learned from experience. I can't always hear with my ears what affects my brain. At times it can be my own cell phone. If I use it too much it gets my brain in an elevated state that no matter how tired my body is my brain won't sleep. the calming sounds you mentioned are very helpful but always let your brain tell you what is good & what isn't. it went be hard to figure out, I promise:)
I have made it 6yrs, sometimes through tears but always by the Grace of God. I need more grace every day I wake up. Hence my user name. You will make it, trust God, ask for Grace. He has helped me every moment of every day since my injury.
Thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement!! I really appreciate all of your response, you really are an inspiration to. Sorry for not responding sooner, I just could not focus enough to sit at a computer and type.. Again Thanks for your words of encouragement and support.