Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Recovering after a concussion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Recovering after a concussion

Hello, just looking for some advice.

4 weeks ago I was playing football (soccer), and was heading a ball when I received a blow to the head - on my right temple. I had to come off. I was experiencing dizziness, headache, bad vision - so I was taken to A&E...diagnosed with concussion and sent home.
I was off work for the next week with tiredness, heavy head and focussing problems - I improved a lot, and seemed to be fine by the next weekend - although my head was still very tender and I had pain in the temple if I opened my mouth wide to yawn or chew.
I returned to work a week and a half after the injury, and was fine. I went back to the gym at the weekend and felt good.
However, on the Tuesday ( 2 weeks ago) in the afternoon after work, my head started to hurt - I got really tired and my vision and focus was strange. I went home and rested. I went into work the next day - but the symptoms persisted and I felt confused too.
I went back to A&E - they did a CT scan which was clear and said I have post concussion syndrome.
Anyway, I was sent home. I've been off for a week and a half now with - tiredness, headaches, problems focussing, dislike of bright lights, head feeling heavy and just not feeling myself.
I'm basically wanting to know how much longer this would go on for...I really want to get back to work, back to the gym, and back to feeling normal.
If anyone has any advice for me, I'd be very grateful.
I should note that I still have tenderness in my temple, there is still a bump, and I also would still get pain if I open my mouth wide. Would this be why I'm still experiencing some of the symptoms I've listen above?
Hi!
If you have pain persisting in temple area and get pain on opening your mouth wide, you are probably suffering from TMJ or  temporomandibular joint disorder due to the injury. In this your jaw joint is inflamed and causes pain in temple area with dizziness. To get some relief you can try massaging the sore muscles. You have to press on muscles of your face to look for sore points. Then massage these points with short strokes. To massage the masseter muscles on each side of your jaw, place your thumb inside your mouth and squeeze the thick muscle in your cheek with your fingers. To massage the jaw muscles inside your mouth, use your index finger to probe and massage these spots. Massaging the muscles does not help every one. Also if the procedure is nor correct, then it can further aggravate the problem.
Moist heat or cold packs on the face, vitamin supplements, or biofeedback are useful for some people. Usually people find a method that brings relief by trial and error. Consult an ENT specialist.
Also, it can be post concussion syndrome. There is nothing much you can do about it. It will go away with time—after how long cannot be said. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thankyou for your help...I'm improving slowly over time as the tenderness dies down.