Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Sleep- Insomnia issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Sleep- Insomnia issues

Hello, my name is Sarah and almost 4 years ago, I rode with a friend and was directly hit by a train just as we approached a railroad crossing. Ofcourse, we weren't able to reach the other side and that is how I my brain was traumatically injured. My injuries included bruising and bleeding to my brain, brain axon shearing,  I also experienced a nice laceration to my spleen, liver, kidney; with fractures to my pelvis, jaw, back, ankle, and a couple couple ribs which pierced into my lung, and so my lung had collapsed. I could go on and on but that about sums part of my question about insomnia up because I have chronic insomnia partially due to severe arthritis. Other reasons that may be included with having a sleep disorder concerning my current condition of chronic insomnia may possibly be seeing the wrong doctor, taking the wrong sleep medication, or something as simple as drinking a soda beverage or coffee too late but I don't ever drink caffiene and within the past couple of years, I have seen as many sleep specialists in my state that is ever possible and I almost died as I was prescribed 9 times the normal dose of Trazidone because he would just raise my prescription up every week I told him I didn't sleep. I built such a high tolerance that I didn't sleep for 53 days straight. People do happen to go 'nuts' at that point and I went shop crazy and spent over a grand on taxi fair and cleaners as I was attending a technical college.
QUESTION IS: I've been prescribed sedatives such as Trazidone, Ambian, Rozerm, tamazipam, Zolpidem and Sonata, etc. All helped me for a time period of no longer than 2 months and I was back to square one again. Excedrin PM, Tylinol PM, Unisom, sleep gels; and so on but they just keep adding up. My doctor said not to take them but he wont change my prescription so do I just keep taking more and more over the counter sleep medications or not sleep at all? I'm only up to 4 over counters- 7 pills but I know that 1 or 2 hours of sleep might not be worth it if I get a side reaction.
Please let me know if you know any possible answer. My email is- little_ezzy***@****. My brother's nickname is Ezzy so thats where I get the email from and my memory isn't the best so I cant really change it.
My accident was posted in 2 newsletters/magizines and if you need or would like more information, let me know. It just talkes about my injures and my coma  lasting 7 and a half weeks but leaves out that I now have A.D.D.- attention deficit disorder. I take my prescription but I wonder if thats what keeps me up at night.
No idea, please let me know,
(If I have any grammar mistakes, i feel half awake and i'm honestly seeing double right now because they just took my blood to test my blood plqtelet count.
Thanks, Sarah

Hi...wow what a situation to go thru and survive!!...I have to ask did ur Drs ever mention PTSD?...I wonder if that could factor in to ur inability to sleep?

Next, with going to sleep clinics, did they ever do a sleep study to check u for sleep apnea?

Just a thought

Good luck and do post updates

"selma"
I had a TBI 2.5 years and they called it mild but symptoms are not even close to mild.  But what you have gone thru I cannot even imagine.  One of the issues I have is sleep disorder and many head injured patients has sleep issues.

Have you tried Melatonin supplement?  There’s a small pine-shaped gland located at the back of your brain which triggers this hormone.  I tried and it worked for my sleep but made me dizzy next day.  But some had good success with it.

Good luck.