Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
TBI and Marijuana usage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

TBI and Marijuana usage

I've been doing a lot of research into this subject. I even spent some time verifying the reliability of this site. Excellent news articles, reviews, etc...

Anyway, I've found so many resources citing it's potential, as well as the results of multiple studies, and 1 I found out was on actual TBI sufferers. Granted, they were are relatively new TBI's, and the results were shown to be exceptional helping the brain recover within a certain amount of time after the injury. 6 hours afterward for maximal healing. It has many reports of exceptional neuroprotective possibilities. Of course many of these studies are performed on mice, but there are some on people.

"We believe this this compound, that the brain itself produces, may serve as a neuroprotectant agent." - Esther Shohami, a professor at the school of pharmacy at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.
The compound being referred to is 2-arachidonoyl (2-AG). A cannabinoid. Similar to the structure of marijuana.

I'm sure I don't need to explain this, but I have 200pages of studies/reports/articles and the references that go along with each, and I have verified them all. I'm paranoid about using marijuana, but the anti-depressant information I found for it is the main cause of my research. Everything I've found after the year 2000 is positive. I've only searched through information after the year 2000 due to the medical advances made that refute previous findings.

Long term marijuana use, heavy use at that, only has a negligible impact on cognition and memory. A study conducted at Harvard School also saying that long term cannabis users, and 26 in the control group (those who have never smoked), showed no significant differences between the two in when performing magnetic resonance imaging on their brains.

I could go on for another 100 pages, but I'll stop.

So, here's my own medical information. I was in a car accident. My car was slammed into by a motorcycle, both of us going ~50mph. I was flown to the hospital. Spent 5 days in a coma. No one expected me to make it. It was a very severe accident. My face had been shattered, my nose was gone. Two pieces of my jaw were somewhere on the road. All the damage was to my head. I damaged the left side of my brain. A 3mm scrape I believe. Don't remember. Was paralyzed on my right side. Spent a month in rehab. 4-5 months leaning to walk in a straight line, which I'm still perfecting. This happened in march of 2010. As of now my brain is doing much better. I'm attending UCBerkeley as a mathematics major. I have many of the common issues associated with a TBI. I'm sure most, if not all, of what I said is already known by most. I'm just making sure.

My question: Would it be a positive, negative, or negligible affect on my brain to consume marijuana. Whether it be orally, or through a vaporizer. Considering I am under extreme depression as a result of the deaths of those involved in my motor vehicle accident.  

Side Note: If I could have the source of the information given to me, so I can verify it myself, it would be greatly appreciated.
Hi!
I am sorry to hear what you have gone through, naturally stressful, and depressive. The road to recovery apart from medical/surgical treatments, and rehabilitation, also involves psychotherapy to overcome post traumatic stress disorder.
Marijuana is not known to help in such cases, and no certified medical practitioner will endorse treatment with marijuana for this type of stress disorder.
Whether, you have head injury or not, it is never too wise to smoke weed or marijuana. Since it crosses blood brain barrier it can result in impaired perceptions and coordination, difficulty in thinking, learning, concentrating and problem solving, and memory will become poor. In a setting of head injury and subsequent surgery, this can result in confusion regarding whether the symptoms if they appear are due to injury, surgery or due to weed. Hence it is advisable not to smoke weed. Do talk to your treating doctor regarding this.  Take care!
Hi!