Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Throbbing head when standing up

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Throbbing head when standing up

Okay, So my problem is this, when I am sitting down and stand up, bend over and then stand up, shoot even sneeze sometimes, my head (the lower back of my head) starts throbbing. This is no painless throb, this is a let's take an electric beater and crank it up in the back of your skull pain. I have had this issue for three to four years now and I have noticed that its severity increases in the spring/summer. I really don't know what to do and I hope that I'm not alone so that someone can tell me what's wrong. A man can only go so long in suffering x.x
Hi!
A headache that worsens on standing up and improves or disappears on lying flat is a spinal headache. This happens when the CSF pressure in the brain falls. This usually happens after spinal anesthesia, spinal taps, or spinal injuries. However in some people this happens without a cause. This is known as spontaneous intracranial hypotension.
A procedure called an epidural blood patch, if is successful, even temporarily, it generally means the patient does indeed have a spinal headache. A small amount of the patient’s own blood is injected into the space between the dura and the bony spine known as the epidural space. If this causes temporary or permanent cure of headache, the diagnosis of spontaneous intracranial hypotension is confirmed.
Other tests are a spinal tap and measuring the pressure. Although spinal fluid pressure is usually low in patients with spontaneous intracranial hypotension, it can be occasionally normal due to variations in the spinal fluid pressure.
A dye can be injected into the spinal fluid and entire spine’s CT scan is taken to locate the leak.
Please discuss this with a neurologist. This may help you cure your headaches. Of course a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net, but there is no harm in discussing this with a neurologist.
The other possibility is postural hypotension. The blood pressure falls when you stand and causes headaches. Dehydration, certain medications, heart problems, untreated diabetes, and nervous system disorders can all cause this. TIAs or transient ischemic attacks can also be the cause. Certain epilepsies too behave this way with temporary blackouts. Certain internal ear problems can also affect blood pressure monitoring by the body by not properly signaling a change in position. Blood pressure monitoring, tilt table test, EKG, heart echo, ambulatory blood pressure recording are all required for diagnosis. To begin with make a conscious effort to drink fluids (not plain water but juice, lemonade, soups, herbal tea, etc), and eat at regular intervals. Normally this helps. If it does not, then you need to consult a doctor and get all the above causes ruled out.
Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.