Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
VP shunts and airport scanners

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

VP shunts and airport scanners

Do magnetic airport scanners affect the settings of VP shunts?  This particular shunt was placed in 2005. I haven't yet been able to find out the exact type or manufacturer.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
We have similar discussions which you can refer to. http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Neurology/CT-MRI-and-programmable-shunts/show/296421  Today most airport scanners are safe and patients on VP shunt travel.
However before you plan to fly consult the surgeon or any other neurologist regarding the affect on the shunt. Take care!
Thank you for your response.  We consulted the surgeon, who has referred us back to the hospital in which the procedure was done.  So we're waiting for their response now.  I appreciate your taking the time to answer.

Carol