encephalomalacia
I am a 31 year old female.15 years ago I was involved in a accident where i was hit in between the eyes. That accident fractured my skull. Everything has been fine since then except for the last two or three months I have been having headaches every day. My family doctor scheduled an mri. My results for the mri stated that I have two csf-containing spaces in the frontal lobe and that i have encephalomalacia in the frontal lobe but no infarction.  What should be done about this ?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Well, without actually seeing the MRI films it is really very difficult to comment. Damage to the frontal lobe of the brain causes frontal encephalomalacia. This lobe is associated with mood and memory. Thus any damage to this lobe can lead to long term memory loss, mood swings, talking too much, and energy bursts leading to over activity. Long term complication is chance of schizophrenia.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Thank you for your advice. Since then I have gone to a nuerologist and he seemed to think my headaches were due to stress and wanted to place me on an antidepressant. I totally disagree. I am a very easy going, mellow person and don't see how this would benefit me. He never once talked about my mri or my previous accident.  I'm thinking of getting a second opinion.  I just wanted to thank you for commenting.
I have known encephalomalacia involving the right frontal lobe of the brain.  I am now experiencing vertigo, which seems to come and go, with the duration periods lasting about a week at a time.  I also have neck pain, which is quite severe at times, accompanied with headaches.  Just wondering if this vertigo could be due to the encephalomalacia, or if it is caused by the neck pain?  The onset of the encephalomalacia was about 28 years ago.
I too have been recently diagnosed with encephalomalacia at 51 years of age.  Part of me believes it is due to a botched dental procedure. I am also being treated for Lyme disease to be on the safe side because of my Western Blot and clinical symptoms.
I've been having headaches intermittenly about 3 to 4 times a week...my dr. recommended an MRI..found out that i have right frontal lobe ecephalomalacia...im only 23 years old...should i be worried? n what could be the treatment?
encephalomalacia - Head & Traumatic Brain Injury
I was diagnost with meningioma 3 years ago . Had  cyber knife surgery. Year later had a craniotomy to remove meningioma . Yesterday I end up in ER with horrible headache. CT scan without contrast was done. MD told that it was ok, but  CT findings shows a moderate - size  of underlying encephalomalacia  3.5x3cm. What should I do ?
Thank you so much for your feedback. I was in a car accident at 13 and turned 50  this past October. I "just" decided to check to see if I was correct that I had what I've read about the NFL players and I see another term, encephalomalacia on an MRI report. I was able to pay for this and a second battery of neuropsychological testing from my American grandparent's inheritance and took this at 37. But it's only this evening that I decided to look this up and am kind of dumbfounded.  Although I was able to get through college and graduate school  with some challenges (hard to distinguish since I had trouble with math and science "before" car accident) I can identify with some of the symptoms that you have listed. Well, ahem, I should say the talking too much, though that was also somewhat controlled at times. What seemed to have been most affected in me was "motivation", which I learned from looking for answers online a few years back can be or is neurologically based. I've never had headaches though. From the two neurological reports that I  have ( one done at 15, which is when I noticed having trouble studying. Didn't know about short-term memory back then, and the other at 37) I got the impression that  I had had the executive functions affected. Thanks for your feedback Dr. KMathurMD