Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
encephalomalacia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

encephalomalacia

I am a 31 year old female.15 years ago I was involved in a accident where i was hit in between the eyes. That accident fractured my skull. Everything has been fine since then except for the last two or three months I have been having headaches every day. My family doctor scheduled an mri. My results for the mri stated that I have two csf-containing spaces in the frontal lobe and that i have encephalomalacia in the frontal lobe but no infarction.  What should be done about this ?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Well, without actually seeing the MRI films it is really very difficult to comment. Damage to the frontal lobe of the brain causes frontal encephalomalacia. This lobe is associated with mood and memory. Thus any damage to this lobe can lead to long term memory loss, mood swings, talking too much, and energy bursts leading to over activity. Long term complication is chance of schizophrenia.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Avatar n tn
Thank you for your advice. Since then I have gone to a nuerologist and he seemed to think my headaches were due to stress and wanted to place me on an antidepressant. I totally disagree. I am a very easy going, mellow person and don't see how this would benefit me. He never once talked about my mri or my previous accident.  I'm thinking of getting a second opinion.  I just wanted to thank you for commenting.
Avatar n tn
I have known encephalomalacia involving the right frontal lobe of the brain.  I am now experiencing vertigo, which seems to come and go, with the duration periods lasting about a week at a time.  I also have neck pain, which is quite severe at times, accompanied with headaches.  Just wondering if this vertigo could be due to the encephalomalacia, or if it is caused by the neck pain?  The onset of the encephalomalacia was about 28 years ago.
Avatar n tn
I too have been recently diagnosed with encephalomalacia at 51 years of age.  Part of me believes it is due to a botched dental procedure. I am also being treated for Lyme disease to be on the safe side because of my Western Blot and clinical symptoms.
I've been having headaches intermittenly about 3 to 4 times a week...my dr. recommended an MRI..found out that i have right frontal lobe ecephalomalacia...im only 23 years old...should i be worried? n what could be the treatment?
encephalomalacia - Head & Traumatic Brain Injury
I was diagnost with meningioma 3 years ago . Had  cyber knife surgery. Year later had a craniotomy to remove meningioma . Yesterday I end up in ER with horrible headache. CT scan without contrast was done. MD told that it was ok, but  CT findings shows a moderate - size  of underlying encephalomalacia  3.5x3cm. What should I do ?