Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
no sense of smelling or taste

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

no sense of smelling or taste

I hit my head on the beam going down from attic and have no sense of smell or taste for the last 4 months.  When, if ever, will I get those senses back.  I can sense the difference between sweet, sour, bitter, spicy but have no idea what the actual taste is.  I have no sense of smell of any odor. I do smell like an aroma for all smells but it is the same odor just different strengths.  It's almost like an acidic aroma.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If there is damage to olfactory and sensory division of lingual nerve then it is unlikely that you will get complete recovery to smell and taste. However if the damage is only to the nerve endings, then this may in time (which no one can predict) start smelling and tasting better. Please discuss this with a neurologist who can guide you best.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
I have the same exact thing after falling from An attic Also. .I am glad I am alive but I smell one smell for everything and wanted to know how are things with you after 4 years. . Please update me. . Thanks