seizures after craniotomy
tgj
my husband had a cyst removed from the third ventricle in his brain about 4 years ago.  before the cyst was found he never experienced a seizure.  he had a seizure about a 1 year and 6 months ago, and recently had another.  they both occurred while he was sleeping and were very frightening.  Is it common to have seizures so long after a craniotomy? if anything, what triggers them?

Thank you.

How are you?
There is a risk of seizures after craniotomy, but it depends on the type of operation and the reason for the procedure.
The most common seizure after craniotomy is where one falls unconscious with convulsions.
The reason for post craniotomy convulsions is brain injury which can occur during the operation or due the neurological condition that required craniotomy.
Your husband may need medications please discuss this with his neurologist.
Take care!
tgj
Thank you for your prompt response.  Both of his seizures have occurred while he was asleep.  The cyst in his third ventricle caused a blockage and the CSF was not draining properly.  I am just so curious why he has had these seizures so many years after his surgery.  No one seems to know.

Thanks Again!