Heart Disease Community
26 year old with angina?

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

26 year old with angina?

Im a 26 year old male. I try to stay in shape, y exercising ith weights and some cardio. I have a good diet, eating healthy and avoiding bad foods. I am at my desired weight for my height. My BP does run a little elevated sometimes. In the upper 130s lower 140s. I take several vitamsn a day. Fish oil x 3 , mvi, coq10, magnesium, b complex, vit C, resveratrol, and whey protein. Over the last few years i have noticed a decline in my aerobic capacity. What i used to good do now will leave me winded. My resting hr is usually in the 60s. After jogiing 1/4 mile at a medium pace, my hr will jump to the 150s. I have excessive perspiration with exertion. For example, when i go to the gym there will be overweight older people on a machine going hard and will be barely sweating, winded, still on there after an hour when i leave, and just from weights i will have a hrt of the 150s, and will be sweating profusely. Lately, ive been getting substernal chest pain with exertion. Like after a few minutes of jogging or doing the rower i will get sternal chest pain that worsenes with exertion but subsides when i stop. I will also get it with emotional stress or in a stressful situation. No radiation to extremities or jaw pain. I may not be in optimum shape but i am in fairly decent shape for my age, and eat a healthy diet. I amnot overweight. I have had my lipids checked and my triglecerides were normal and my ldl was 116 and hdl 42. I had a normal resting EKG also. I tried to do a spirometry test for fitness and got extreme substernal pain while tring to blow out hard. I have a significant family history of heart disease and stroke. I take no rx. meds. Could an otherwise healthy 26 year old be experienceing angina. My PCP does not think it neccesary to do a treadmill stress test. Any advise?
possible that some of your symptoms might be valve related? Have you had an echoe at any time recently.

I also wonder about the pains that I feel...burning in the back and chest area....I am only 30 and wonder if I could possibly have that. I just hope mine is muscle or GERD related.

Did they give you any explanation for why they think your HR jumps during exercise?
Below is a simple formula for determining your target heart rate during an aerobic work out:
Male
220-Age (Non-athletic)
205-Age/2 (Fit)

So, if you are fit, your target heart rate is 194 beats per minute.

I think you need to at least convince your doctor to try to rule out any problems with your lungs. Ask for a chest x-ray maybe.

I think you are unnecessarily focused on heart disease, and I do not think that you are experiencing angina due to the description of your pain that you gave. Do you smoke? There is a different type of tobacco like substance that is inhaled very hard, do you partake of this whacky tobaccy? It can inflame the lungs.

Good luck in finding your problem.
I did have a murmur when i was young and had an echo then about 15 years ago. Everyone that has listened to my heart since syas they no longer hear a murmur. Ive had 2 chest xr in the last 2 years and both were unremarkable. mas2782 comment about back pain did remind me that the chest pain i have will feel like its coming through my back at times. Sometimes i will have a pounding in my chest at rest like my heart is beating will hard and you can even see it beating in my stomach through my clothes at times. I told a fellow friend of mine that is an rn and she said it sounds like an aortic aneurysm with the pounding symptoms. My pcp seemd to not be worried about it, but i get that feeling that something just isnt right, and i hardly ever get sick or go to the doctor so im not being hypochondriac. Is there a medicine if any that would treat these symptoms if it is angina other than nitroglycerin.
Positionally relieved pain, or pain that "changes" is not characteristic of angina or pain of a cardiac origin. What you are experiencing is not angina.