Heart Disease Community
AF and a Pace Maker

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

AF and a Pace Maker

I have suffered with AF for 4 years, the first episode was frightening with my heart rate going up to 200. After 3 hours the hospital reduced the heart beat down to 80 but the rhythm took 3 days to go back to normal. 2 years later the same thing again, both times I had a heavy meal and red wine. I put this down to alcohol and have reduced my intake to 2 beers a week, 3 months ago I had another episode which lasted 3 days, prior to the episode I had a light meal and two beers, again put it down to the alcohol. Recently I had another episode and this no alcohol, the doctor said it was an infection (heavy cold) that set it off. I am very worried about the situation and the Doctors do not express any concern and just state there is no underlying heart condition, the only test I have had is an ultra sound.
Not very happy with the medical help and support but not sure what else I can do as it is making me very anxious.
I have looked through comments from other sufferers and would be interested if anyone has some advice.
Also if anyone has ever had a pacemaker with AF and does it stop the AF or will it still feel very unpleasant as it did before?
Regards Paul
I'm a bit confused by your post.  You state that you have AFib but also state that the doctors tell you that you don't have a heart condition.  

I developed AFib in the hospital when I had bypass surgery.  AFib is a very common complication after bypass surgery and is usually controlled with a potent drug called Amiodarone or else an ablation procedure.  I developed AFib and have had a pacemaker for a number of years to control Brady/Tachy problems, so I would say that a pacer isn't an answer.  

You might suggest you wear a Holter monitor for a period of time that would record and interpret your heart rate and rhythm.
Thanks for your reply
The Doctor say there is no structural problem with the heart and have advised just to carry on with small doses of Atenanol.
I just wondered if with a pace maker it would stop the AF episodes but from your experience it will not.
Just trying to work out what I can do to minimise the very poor feeling I get from missed beats etc and see if I can get back to a normal life, maybe I am asking too much.
Regards
Paul