Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm
My mother has suffered pain in the lower back (thought was a pulled muscle) many times.  Just recently she has had abdominal swelling, nausea, rapid heart rate and the sensation of a pulse in the abdomen.  The dr believes she may have abdominal aortic aneurysm.  Which is an aneurysm in the heart.  I've googled it and found that her symptoms matched the symptoms of this and found that is why the dr thinks she has this without any tests being performed.  She is a "borderline" diabetic and she smokes.  I know the dr is the only one that can say what is wrong and how bad it is.  Me and my mother are like sisters.  We talk everyday at least 3-4 times a day.  I guess I'm just wanting someone to say that she is going to be ok.  I've heard that if it ruptures she will die.  The "sensation of a pulse in the abdomen" has me concerned.  It says that it can be genetic and I am always making fun of myself because I can put something on my stomach and it will bounce with my heartbeat.  Is that what they are talking about.  Could I have the same thing?  I don't have any of the other symptoms, but that. Thanks for your time.
I have been having the same thing lately. well the pulse by the stomach anyways.
I'm 26 years old.  Heart conditions run on my mother's and father's side of the family.  I went to my general doctor in August about some problems I was having.  Had a whole bunch of tests ran, and everything came back fine.  Said I have a clean bill of health.  I'm a tad overweight, but nothing to be alarming.  My blood pressure is excellent.  My abdomen pulse is probably normal, I think I have actually seen my husband have it.  Just got the emotions and "what if" running when I talked to my mom.  My mom was actually at her chiropractor's office and he suggested her symptoms may be AAA.  She has an appointment with her medical doctor for Friday.  We've been thinking and don't think it is AAA, but that could be denial.  I do know something is wrong with her.  For her to have back pain and a swollen abdomen.  Maybe she could have some kind of blockage.  Hope to find answers to all of our questions tomorrow.  Thanks for the replies.
Welcome to being normal!   An abdominal pulse (especially in thin/slender people) is normal.   The normal pulse width is around 2.5cm and you can usually feel the defined borders.  Abdominal aneurysms typically greatly exceed this due to "ballooning".   Most people can feel their abdominal pulses when supine and more obvious when you are nervous and your heart is beating hard.   In fact, I can actually see my laptop bounce when laying down with it on my abdomen- and have seen my wife's pulse move as well.

If in any doubt; and due to family history- it may be good to have a Dr. check with an ultrasound if needed-- but most likely it's just normal.
My dad has just had surgery on a aaa two weeks ago he had all the symtons overweight high blood pressure pulse he is doing great now i am just worried because i have the pulse in my abdomen but i am only 8 stone and work out 4 days a week do you think it could be aaa.
Hi Aine, 8 stone is very slim. I'd be amazed if you couldn't feel a pulse in  your abdomen. I have a strong pulse in my abdomen and I am 10 stone. My grandmother and uncle both had AAA but they were elderly so not too worried although I might ask my doc sometime in the future. I mentioned the AAA in the family to my cardiologist prob mainly due them having high blood pressure and age and nothing for me to worry about. Ask your doc though if you are worried and he/she will probably have a feel of your stomach .
all they will do is an ultrasound to check....they don't operate unless it is 6cm, because at that size they tend to balloon and rupture.  smaller than that, they just watch.  
For women with those symptoms it might be good to see the gyn doc, check for ovarian. . . . . issues.
aine, my dad was diagnosed with aaa recently, his aaa is greater than 6 and he mignt need to undergo the surgery, woud youplease describe your dad's expericence and also let meknow who was his surgeon and whether you' were happy with that surgeon... I really appreciate all the information. thanks so much in advance,
Flora
MY 53 YR OLD HUSBAND WAS DIAGNOSED WITH AN INFRARENAL AORTIC ANEURYSM WITH THROMBUS IN ABDOMEN, HE IS A SMOKER, HIS MUM ASSED AWAY LAST YEAR AS SHE WAS WAITING TO BE OERATED IN JUNE , AS IT HAD TO BE 5.5 SHE WAS 83, WITH HIGH BLOOD RESSURE AND KIDNEY ROBLEMS TOO, IT WAS WORKING  ABOUT HALF THE  NORMAL AMOUNT,
MY HUSBANDS WS DIAGNOSED BY ACCIDENT AS HE WENT FOR A NORMAL BLOOD TEST WHICH CAME OUT  GOOD, BUT AS HE HAD HEMATURIA MICORSCOIC I WANTED THEM TO CHENK ON HIS URINE BUT THE DOCTOR CHECKED FOR ALBUMIN AS HIS RESSURE WAS HIGH, AND THAT CAME TO 618 IT SHOULD BE UNDER 25 SO THEY GOT HIM TO DO A RENAL SCAN AND THEY DETECTED THE ANURYSM, SO THEY SENT HIM FOR AN MIR WITH IV CONTRAST AND SIAD THAT EVERYTHING SEEMS AND LOOKS NORMAL EXCET FOR THE ANEURYSM AND  THROMBUS, HIS GRANDMA DIED OF THROMBUS, I AM TRYING TO LOOK U AND FIND INFORMATION BUT NOT MUCH LUCK, LEASE JUST WANT TO KNOW WHO YOUR SECIALIST ARE I  LIVE IN MELBOURNE AND WE ARE GOING TO SEE MR  ADRIAN LING, ANY ASSISTNACE OR WHAT QUESTIONS SHOULD I BE ASKING WULD HEL IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY AS I AM LOOKING FOR ANSWERS, MY MUM SOKE TO HER DOCTOR IN NZ THEY SAID THAT THEY SHOULD OERATE ONCE IT IS OVER 4, AS IT IS JUST A TIME BOMB. LEASE ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE GREAT  AINE 83 AND FLORA HOW ARE  YOUR DADS AND WHERE WAS HIS ANEURYSM WHAT TEST DID THEY  HAVE TO DO  RIOR TO UNDERGOING THE OERATION  .  . DID THEY HAVE A BOOD CLOT TOO, LEASE LET ME KNOW WHO YOUR DOCTORS WERE IF YOU ARE IN MELBOURNE ANY ASSISTANCE WILL BE GREATLY ARECIATED
WITH GODS BLESSING ALWAYS