Heart Disease Community
Abnormal ECG Question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Abnormal ECG Question

I am twenty years old and went to the hospital for a panic attack. They did two ECG tests on me. Both tests came back saying that my Sinus Rhythum was normal but it also said that I had Nonspecific T Abnormalities, Anterior Leads. What does that mean? They sent me home saying that I was healthy and nothing was wrong, but how could I be fine with an abnormal ECG? I am very scared since I have a long family history of heart problems. Is it normal for healthy people to have abnormal ECGs sometimes? Please help.
I don't know if it's normal or not, but I have also had abormal EKG's. Mine said Low Voltage QRS and Biatrial Enlargement. When I asked the Cardiologist about the Biatrial Enlargement, he told me that it could be the way the leads were placed or because I have larger breasts. Either way, he told me that he wasn't concerned about it. I don't know about the things that came up on your EKG, but I would think that if it was anything dangerous they would have kept you. If you have any doubt, make an appointment with a Cardiologist and he or she can help you go over the results and even send you for further testing if they think it's necessary.

I'm sure some of the other members here will be able to help much more than I have, I'm not really familiar with how to interpret EKG reports, although I wish I could. I get very confused by mine too.
Try somewhere and do another EKG.  Gets the reports and compare!  If they're all the same then it wasn't the leads placing wrongly!  That's how I compare mine one.  I get shock, one day all my spikes (QRS) become a mung bean size tall.  Where are my spikes gone?  

Enlarge heart will show on echo or chest X-ray!  If very mild, it still show on the echo but may be not on the chest X-ray.

Take care.
The ER docs arent going to lie to you :) the t wave abnormalities in themselves are not indicative of any condition.. The T wave must be considered along with qrs and st  abnormalities, which apperantly you didnt have, or was of no significance.. Trust me, if there was anything wrong with you, they wouldnt have let you walk out the door, because if they did, and anything happened to you, you'de be very rich at that doctors expense. ...EKG's spit out wrong "diagnosis" all the time..what happend was, the doctor on duty that night looked at the entire picture, and came to the conclusion you are normal :) Be happy with the good news... Did they test your blood or your urine? i only ask because a t wave abnormality can sometimes be cause by a electrolyte imbalance..If they did the standard wokeup im sure they tested you for this.. If you are overly concerned, speak to your primary care physician..
Machine read EKGs often come back abnormal. That is why an actual cardiologist takes a look at it. If the hospital said that you are fine, you are fine. If they saw something that was really abnormal, they would send you for more testing. After all that is how they get there money!
The last time I was in the hospital with a panic attack I had an abnormal EKG with nonspecific T-wave abnormalities, just like you.  I also had sinus tachy up to 150 bpm.  They said it was nothing to worry about, not indicative of any problems - maybe it was just because of emotional upset or something.
i really wish they would just abolish those automatic diagnosis by ekg's... who wants to be diagnosed by a machine? i think it does more harm than good, especially when the diagnosis is false...Its so hard to read on a peice of paper that something is wrong with your heart, and then have to trust a person telling you there isnt..
Nonspecific T Abnormalities can mean absolutely nothing.  I've read it isn't uncommon in young people to have these.