Heart Disease Community
Abnormal EKG Reading

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Abnormal EKG Reading

Hello:

I am a 45 year old woman, slightly overweight, slightly elevated cholesterol, but no history of heart problems.  I had an Ekg completed prior to a surgical procedure.  They did it twice due to the machine being difficult. The first read was NORMAL, however the second test completed 6 minutes later came back ST-T changes in inferior leads.  Then: Borderline abnormal changes possibly due to myocardial ischemia.  The doctor reading the results was not concerned at all and did his best to explain why the computer might have read my results that way.  However, he said computer still can replace a human reading the results.  

For my peace of mind, I go tomorrow to the Cardio. people for a follow up.

Can you give me any insight into these results.  Do I need to be concerned or was the first doctor correct in his analysis ?

Thanks.

I would definitely question the doctors regarding it.  You may want to request another one on a different machine.  Sounds like the machine is not working as it should.  
ST-T changes: "The sequence of repolarization is altered in LBBB, with the ST segment and T wave vectors being directed opposite to the QRS complex. These changes may mask the ST segment depression and T wave inversion induced by ischemia. On the other hand, the diagnosis of an acute MI or ischemia can occasionally be made in a patient with underlying LBBB if certain ST-T changes are seen, particularly if the ST-T vectors are in the same direction as the QRS complex:"

As you can see the condition can occur due to an extra heartbeat (not uncommon).  The doctor should rule out any ischemia (occluded vessels) or there may be no clinical evidence of ischemia.

LBBB is the left side pathway for electrical impulses, and there may be blockage of a pathway and requires other impulse configurations to support a dx.  Your doctor should have supporting evidence with other tests, clinical signs and symptoms.  Your doctor should be in a position to validate EKG findings or reject.  

No need to be concerned if your doctor is competent.