Heart Disease Community
Atrial Septal Defect questions....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Atrial Septal Defect questions....

This is my first time posting.  I am 39, and through a recent echo, the cardiologist found an atrial septal defect.  I have not yet been back to see her, as she was waiting for the results of a 2 week loop monitor I just had.  My questions are:  I have always had a lot of PVC's, and still do, now everyone says in a "structurally normal heart" they are harmless, is my heart still normal??  I had the echo because my PVC's where getting worse, and I fainted, yep, passed right out making a sandwich!  I guess I just would love to hear from anyone else who has an atrial septal defect, and what it all means. Are the PVC's dangerous now?  

I guess I will know more when I go back to the doctor, for now I am just a little worried.

Thank you so much for any help.
It's congenital. My son was born with an ASD. He had trouble breathing at first, but over time he got better. Eventually the ASD spontaneously closed, but he also has moderate mitral valve sclerosis . He has about 1500 PVC/PAC's a day and is not currently on medication. Some people with small to moderate sized ASDs do not feel symptoms at all, or not until middle age. Some smaller ones need never be closed unless symptoms appear.
Your symptoms of arrhythmia and fainting indicate that yours may indeed need to be closed. I believe there may now be a non surgical way to close an ASD.

You should ask this question of physicans. If you can get it onto the other heart forum, the one the doctor answers, it would be more benficial for you I think.

If you require closure of the defect, be sure to go to someone who has performed about a zillion of them.

Good luck posting to the doctor.
Hi.  I was recently diagnosed with a PFO.  I think that is the same as an ASD.  I am having alot of PAC's and a few PVC's.  My cardiologist says that they are still not dangerous even with the PFO.  I recently posted a question on the heart forum to the doctors here and they said the PFO is unlikely to be causing my symptoms (PACs/PVCs).  Good luck to us both!
ASDs are a common heart defect and close spontaneously in nearly half of cases. However, the size and type of the defect and the symptoms it causes determines the recommended course of treatment. Each case is individual. I certainly hope yours is minor, though the fainting is a cause for concern.
Talk to a doctor about this.
I also have an ASD and I asked my cardio the exact same question you did after having pvc/pacs for years. He said that since the defect was in the Atria it would not affect the ventricular functions. He did say though that it might increase the incidence of pacs. I agree with a former post that every person is individual and their problems are unique to them. At the same time it helps to normalize your feelings and to connect with people who have at least had similar conditions. I have lived with these for years now without any big problems. I hope you get a good report from your Cardio.
For some reason my post didn't "take" so everyone please excuse me if this redundant. I was saying that Cleveland Clinic has a  blurb on ASD that you can read, and that depending on the size and location  of the defect ( along with symptoms) it may be okay to leave it alone or it may be best to have it repaired.
I also had said I hope you follow-up when you have more info and let us know how you are feeling.
A doctor is the best person to discuss your case with because ASDs are different in different people.
I wouldn't worry.  A large number of people are born with this and nearly half of them close spontaneously, so they see a lot of them and know a lot about it.
Cleveland Clinic website has a blurb on adult ASD. Don't knopw of the address will show up here, but it's easily searched.

clevelandclinic.org/heartcenter/pub/guide/disease/congenital/septal.htm

It is very important for people to remember that their cases are individual (most minor, some not) and nobody can give them proper advice except medical professionals. Just because someone has something under a big umbrella Dx doesn't make it truly the same Dx.

If you can, please follow-up and let us know how you are doing
:-)

I'm sure when you talk to your doctor, and have the facts about your indivdual case, you will be reassured and hopefully stop worrying.
Thank you all for your comments.  I hope to hear back from my cardiologist next week. (after Christmas).  I don't even know how big the hole is or anything, so who knows??  I am hoping it doesn't need fixing! I am such a coward ):!  Thank you again for your replies, and I will post next week when I find out what is going on.

All the best, and a very Merry Christmas to everyone!