Beta Blocker and PACs
Maybe this is a dumb question, but is there any chance that a beta blocker (metoprolol ER, the generic form of toprol XL) could actually increase the frequency of PACs? I was put on toprol almost a year ago after an episode of a-fib. After taking it for several weeks, I began to have PACs more and more often. My cardiologist kept increasing the dose to reduce the PACs, but every time they just kept increasing. Now I am having extended periods every day where every 3rd or 4th beat is a PAC. I am wondering if this could be a paradoxical effect of the toprol, since before I started taking it I only had occasional isolated PACs, never long strings of them. They almost always start around the same time of day (10am-noon), which is about 4 hours after I take my morning dose of toprol. My doctor's solution always seems to be to keep ramping up the dosage, but I am reluctant to continue doing this since it doesn't seem to be working and I am concerned about side effects. I would appreciate any insight anyone might have about this.
It's not a dumb question at all.  Yes, in some people beta blockers can actually increase PACs (or PVCs).  It's unfortunate and quite annoying, but it can happen.
It absolutely did it to me along with a host of other awful side effects......see my response post detailing this.........its in response to your similar post on the 15th regarding the same question.

My best to you.....