Heart Disease Community
Beta Blocker and PACs

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Beta Blocker and PACs

Maybe this is a dumb question, but is there any chance that a beta blocker (metoprolol ER, the generic form of toprol XL) could actually increase the frequency of PACs? I was put on toprol almost a year ago after an episode of a-fib. After taking it for several weeks, I began to have PACs more and more often. My cardiologist kept increasing the dose to reduce the PACs, but every time they just kept increasing. Now I am having extended periods every day where every 3rd or 4th beat is a PAC. I am wondering if this could be a paradoxical effect of the toprol, since before I started taking it I only had occasional isolated PACs, never long strings of them. They almost always start around the same time of day (10am-noon), which is about 4 hours after I take my morning dose of toprol. My doctor's solution always seems to be to keep ramping up the dosage, but I am reluctant to continue doing this since it doesn't seem to be working and I am concerned about side effects. I would appreciate any insight anyone might have about this.
It's not a dumb question at all.  Yes, in some people beta blockers can actually increase PACs (or PVCs).  It's unfortunate and quite annoying, but it can happen.
Avatar n tn
It absolutely did it to me along with a host of other awful side effects......see my response post detailing this.........its in response to your similar post on the 15th regarding the same question.

My best to you.....