Heart Disease Community
Breast pain after bypass surgery

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Breast pain after bypass surgery

I underwent double bypass surgery on April 17, 2009.  I am having a lot of pain in my breasts. Also popping feelings.  The only thing that will take the pain away is oxycodone (percocet). It has been 3 months and the pain is not getting any better.  From time to time I try to go without the percocet and only take tylenol and have tried hydrocodone but it doesn't do anything to help the pain.  I am afraid of getting addicted to the pain killers, but I can't handle the pain without them.  Will this pain ever go away?  Is there anything I should be concerned about.  Are there any tests to see if something else is causing the pain?  Any help will be appreciated. Thank You
Hello,sorry to hear that you are still in pain.You are of course correct in being worried about being"Addicted"to pain killers and its good that your thinking about that.Where there is genuine pain however,patients do not usually get addicted to pain killers.Addiction normally occurs in people that take un-prescribed pain killers for the effects.(not pain relief).
(however expect to be on them for a while yet at least 3 more months).
I know it sounds like "a cop out"but its back to your cardio and his/her care team.

Having this operation is a serious matter,so is getting inside a well protected human body,nature made it very well!.I think if you look more towards the 9 month mark to be in less pain that would be more realistic.However you should pass your concerns and worries on to your cardio,whom should also be inspecting you physically, your scar and tender areas on a regular basis for any possible infections/problems.Your entitled to this important after care and please insist on it!.There should be no reason for you to stay worried or to be in pain.good luck.
I was told that I could return to heavy lifting after three months but I was still finding it
difficult to put up with the pain when even turning over in my sleep. It took exactly one
year and the pains suddenly vanished without a trace. I still have a slight numbness
on my chest, just to the left side of the top of the scar. I had all kinds of strange sensations going on inside my chest also, such as a feeling of cold liquid running down
the inside and sharp painful tingles.
Glad to know that I am not alone in having these sharp shooting pains in my left breast.  They just started today, and it has been 11 weeks since my double bypass surgery.  I will be watching to see all of the comments because they have been really helpful in knowing what's going on.   Also glad to know what was said about turning on my side because I still can't without it bothering me.
I had a triple bypass in June 2010 and ever since have experienced pain in the left breast and even into my armpit and up to the neck. I suspected nerve damage had been done when they harvested the artery, and recently began us use Arnica a natural product to rub onto it as it eases bruising. The difference is immense, like from needing pain killers ot needing none. It was not until I went onto this link that I understood more..It is about LIMA, "Left internal Mammary Artery" htp://www.medtronic.com/documents/200901133b_EN.pdf
I hope this helps many others. Bobo Pockets
I had a single bypass w/minimally invasive CABG (1/11) using LIMA.  I still have pain in left breast, sometimes severe.  I'm still waiting to wake up & have normal sensation but after 20 months post op, not optimistic.  Hope your pain subsides.
I thought I was the only one with the pain on my left breast.  It is somewhat comforting to know that others have pain/tingling/twitching also.  The pain is more in the flesh as opposed to deeper inside like just before I had my five bypasses 16 months ago.  I hope that you as well as others can start to feel better soon.
   I also have sore, swollen left breast since triple bypass 9/11/2013. Much larger than right one, and have to wear an ace bandage  if mowing, 4 wheeling or any kind of bouncing. I see I am not alone. Sorry for ya'll, but happy I am not the only one with these symptoms. I am grateful to be able to fuss and feel though. Hope we all get some comfort from this....
I had a quintuple bypass on August 18, 2014, and most things are getting a little better day by day.  But  about a month after surgery, I started to have severe pain in my right breast, all the way through the breast and up to the nipple.  When I roll over or stand up or sit down, the pain is intense enough to make me moan.  Both breasts are swollen.   I checked with my surgeon about a month ago, and he suggested I wear a more structured bra 24 hours a day because I am large breasted, and that I take Aleve or Ibuprofen on a regular basis.  If anything, the pain has gotten worse.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.
The surgeon told you to wear a more structured bra, but he didn't identify the cause of your pain?  I'd want answers.  With the late onset of the pain, I would be concerned about an infection.  I invite you not to stop asking questions until you get both an answer and a solution, no matter what you have to do.  This does not seem trivial to me.  Good luck.
My husband just had a triple bypass and is having a lot of pain in his breasts, especially the nipples, any other men experience this?
I just had open heart surgery a valve replaced 2 weeks ago. Yesterday started having sever right breast pain I have implants. Is this normal are should I be worried.the pain is so bad I can't but be worried. Also my thyroids have gotten way out of wak.
I am sad you are all feeling the left breast pain from the harvesting of them femoral mammery artery. I am 2 years post double bypass and can attest this is a horrible pain. I have to hold my breast against my body when bending over and sometimes when laughing or walking. Doesn't seem the pain would get worse, but it has. First when the nerves were rerouting coming back to life, it was odd, but this is completely different.  Was hoping I would find someone saying it took their pain so long and then it stopped, but maybe it doesn't. I hurt so bad this morning having a mastectomy sounds goods and desirable.  Let pray for relief for all of us.