Heart Disease Community
Bypass surgery ok for 84 year old????!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

My grandpa had a heart attack recently so they did an angiography and found 6 blockages which was a complete shock because he didnt even have any chest pain or anything and is a really active fit man.  The surgeon says he should have bypass surgery.  We are very scared to have him do the procedure because of his age...also he seems to be kind of prone to getting pneumonia when given fluids in a hospital setting.  The dr says he has triple vessel disease but has a good strong pumping heart..and his ventricular function is 54% ???  Any words of advice??  Hes currently thinking he will have the surge4ry and it is scheduled in 2 days!??? PLease Help!!
hi,

if he's stable (looks like you were posting about his EF ejection fraction) which is pretty strong, i'd say go for it.

what are the options...surgery or a negative outcome (death)?

my grandmother was in the same situation 6 years ago, at age 84.  She's 90 now, and doing well (knock on wood).  this was her second set of bypasses too.

i'd just make sure the surgeons were very good and had skill working on older patients.

good luck.
All surgery has risks and CABG is major surgery.  Obviously advanced age makes recovery more difficult but in the end the procedure is beneficial.

Dont rush into surgery.  Do research (if you have time).  Look into the surgeons educational background, experience level.  Look into the type of procedure (off pump versus on pump).  Off pump is more desireable because its less evasive.  Not everyone is a candidate for it and not all surgeons are able to perform it.

Minimizing hospital stay helps in reducing complications.  Off pump patients are discharged as soon as 3 days post CABG with only 24hrs in ICU.

In this day and age the success rate for this procedure is high even for patients of advanced age.  Its very possible your grandfather can resume the normal life he is accustomed to.

The choice might not really be to have the surgery or not, just make informed decsions on where, and by who.
My father-in-law had a triple (or quad, I forget now which) bypass when he was 80.  He did great!  He was in good general health, but the arteries needed to be taken care of....Talk over your concerns with your family, and the doctors.  Ask questions, take a tour, watch the videos that the hospital supplies, and learn as much as you can how to advocate for, and help your grandfather.  

Best wishes for a great outcome!
Thank you guys so much for taking the time to respond to me..it means more than you know!  He is scheduled for tomorrow at 8am for surgery.  The surgeon says he does between 200 to 300 a year? That seems like a broad range?  Its amazing how hard it is to find out info..the heart dr that did his angiography in the hospital-we have never seen him again..but we have seen the heart surgeon he recomended...he seemed like a nice guy and he answered alot of my questions ..according to his nurse the mortality rate of his is 1% but i guess i dont even know how long he has been doing the surgerys..hes in his 50s or 60s age wise...He said to call if i have anymore questions but everytime i call i just get to talk to his nurse..and she actually seemed like surgery on an 84 year old is pretty scary...in fact when gramps asked her what she thought she said "run for the hills" ??  i guess it was a joke but according to the surgeon he thinks gramps really needs it since he has 6 blockages and does seem to be getting kinda winded easy.  Gramps lung dr said he should be ok altho his diffusion capacity is diminished...but the rest of his lung test was normal..However gramps is prone to pneumonia so that scares us...he just got over pneumonia 3 weeks ago.  And the lung dr said just cause hes normal lung wise doesnt mean an 84 year old should have surgery....sigh...so theres all sorts of opinions and its just really scary and confusing.....???
His LV function at 54% is excellent, especially considering his age and the fact that he has serious coronary artery blockages.  Lots of people get bypass surgeries and many of them are old when they do.  It is a BIG surgery, but it's become somewhat of a common one as people age.

Wishing your family the best!  Please let us know how he does :)
hi
gramps had surgery today and the dr said it couldnt have gone any better which was great to hear..however its been about 10 hours now since surgery and he is still on the ventilator tube thing...also they had to recently give him 2 things of blood because he has lost some blood...they are hoping it will stop on its own and wont have to go back into surgery???  My questions are- is it normal to be on the ventilator so long and also what about the blood issue??  I feel so helpless!!!!