Heart Disease Community
COREG MEDICATION

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

COREG MEDICATION

I HAVE READ  -  Coreg lowers blood pressure and increases the output of the heart  -  DOES THIS MEAD THAT IT INCREASES THE EJECTION FRACTION OF THE HEART?  AND IF THIS IS TRUE - IF A PERSON WAS TO STOP TAKING COREG WOULD THEIR EF RATE DECREASE ? ? ?  
Tags: Coreg
Hi Bob_27,

I have heard that Coreg often leads to an increase in the heart's ejection fraction.  It seems that stopping the medication would probably be counterproductive.  I know that one of our members, Kenkeith, is very familiar with this medication.  If he doesn't have a chance to see you post, you might want to send him a "note" or a private message.  I'll be he can give you more information.  In the meantime, I hope others come along to offer suggestions, comments also.

Hope you're doing well
connie
HI  -  CONNIE   AKA  MOMTO3   SAID I SHOULD POSE MY QUESTION TO YOU.
I HAVE READ  -  Coreg lowers blood pressure and increases the output of the heart  -  DOES THIS MEAN THAT IT INCREASES THE EJECTION FRACTION OF THE HEART?  AND IF THIS IS TRUE - IF A PERSON WAS TO STOP TAKING COREG WOULD THEIR EF RATE DECREASE ? ? ?  
WHAT DO YOU THINK ?  DOES COREG JUST COVER UP AND MASK THE TRUTH ABOUT  HOW MUCH DAMAGE THERE REALLY IS BY INCREASING THE EF RATE. . .?
BOB
.Correg is a beta blocker and by blocking the receptors it reduces the heart's rate and FORCE of contraction and thereby reduces the work of the heart. Coreg also blocks adrenergic receptors (QACE inhibitor) on arteries and causes the arteries to relax and the blood pressure to fall. The drop in blood pressure further reduces the work of the heart since it is easier to pump blood against a lower pressure. With the heart pumping against lower resistance, increases cardiac output with each stroke.  Also, with a lower workload, a dilated and poorly functioning heart can reverse remodeling of the left ventricle as explained by the Frank/Sterling mechanism in physics and increase contractility.

Some of Coreg's benefit may be from "resuscitation" of hibernating heart muscle. "Hibernating" cells are not functioning but are not really dead either. Sometimes they start working again and sometimes they die instead.

In this study, 387 patients with stable, chronic CHF from ischemia took either placebo or Coreg for 6 months. Patients were called hibernators (181 patients) or non-hibernators (124 patients) based on how much of their heart muscle was hibernating.

Coreg patients had increased EF by the study's end. Placebo patients had no EF change. The more heart muscle that was hibernating, the more EF improved over time with Coreg use.

Study author Dr. John Cleland said that Coreg seems to slow worsening of hibernating cells and to revive some areas close to death. Heart  muscle hibernation is common, affecting about half of all CHF patients with CAD.

There is another phenomonen referred to as "stunned" heart cells.  Stunned cells differ from hibernating heart cells in that the condition happens immediately with a heart attack and when the cells are promptly oxygenated the cells can be revived.

I had a heart attack (silent) 4 years ago, and it appeared there were heart cell impairment at the distal portion of LV.  The RCA was stented and currently there doesn't appear to be any impairment and EF as gone from below 29% to currently 59%.

WOW!  I knew he'd know : )
Thanks Kenkeith!!
I have high bp and a heart murmur...I take coreg twice a day and I also take hyzaar for my bp...I was wanting to know if the coreg was mainly for my heart and if it plays a big roll in my bp?
is it ok to take a low dose aspirin everyday with the Coreg?
YES IT IS....I HAVE BEEN ON LO DOSE ASPERIN SINCE MY SUDDEN CARDIAC DEATH IN 2007