Can blood pressure vary from arm to arm this much!!
I suffer from high blood pressure and am taking Lisinopril to control it. I have a blood pressure monitor and keep a close eye on it because the drug has a tendency to drop it too low. Lately I've been discovering that my blood pressure varies from right arm to left arm. For example I took it just now and on the left arm its 116/66 and on the right arm its 99/60. Just 2 minutes elapsed between the 2 readings. My question is: Is it normal for blood pressure to vary this much between which arm I take the reading from???????
It is not unusual for there to be a slight difference...Before i got concerned I would repeat the readings over the next few days. I would question the accuracy of the automatic meter and does it average subsequent readings when they are minutes apart?  Some information on internet see -
http://www.ehow.com/about_5657296_do-left-right-arms-mean_.html
I agree that the device's accuracy should be checked. But if it really is that much of a difference I would ask my doctor to check it himself s that he can see. That can be the only true symptom of a serious aortic problem that could be easily identified if your doctor knows to look for it. It's not something that is checked for on a routine basis, and most people are asymptomatic for a long time. If I were you I would just ask the doctor to see the difference when you are in his office, and see if he thinks it warrants checking out. If you find out that nothing is wrong-at least you don't have to worry about it any more, and you'll have taken the safer route.
Best of luck!
I agree. If the reading is that different on more than one occassion, I would get it checked by a Doctor using a stethascope. Better to be safe.