Heart Disease Community
Can you feel blood clots?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Can you feel blood clots?

Can you feel blood clots? I have had pains on the inside of my thigh close to my knee that runs upward about six inches, in my neck and head, and the inside of my arms that feel like blood clots working through the vessels. I also have chest pains in or around my heart. I am in otherwise good health, gave birth to 2 boys (3 and 11 mos) and I'm only 24. I know this isnt normal but is it something I should be concerned about?
Yes, blood clots can cause pain.  It is not uncommon with PAD (peripheral artery disease) to experience pain.
Hi.  I hope all is well with you.  I was also curious about this very thing for a long time and know the description all to well.  Can they move through your body to cause you pain without giving you any major issues?  Thanks;  Amy
Hi Amy,

DVT (deep vessel thrombosis usually the legs)) can cause pain and may lead to complications such as pulmonary embolism. DVT happens when a blood clot forms in a deep vein. It most commonly happens in the deep veins of the lower leg and can spread up to the deep veins in the thigh. Rarely, it can develop in other deep veins, for example in the arm. It can dislodge from the vein and clog a major vessel in the heart, lungs or brain. In rare cases, it can cause a stroke or a heart attack and/or pulmonary embolism. Many blood clots that occur in DVT are small and don't cause any symptoms. Your body will usually be able to gradually break them down with no long-term effects.

Less serious are blood clots that form in the superficial veins, which lie just under the skin, are known as superficial phlebitis.

"The most serious complication of DVT. A pulmonary embolism happens when a piece of the blood clot from a DVT breaks off and travels through the bloodstream to the lungs. In the lungs it can block a pulmonary artery. This can cause chest pain, shortness of breath or coughing up phlegm tinged with blood. In severe cases it can be fatal. PE can happen hours or even days after the DVT has formed, and may occur when there have been no obvious signs of a DVT. You should seek emergency medical treatment if you have symptoms of PE."

Hi.  Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.  That really does explain a lot.  What would we do without you.  :-)  I hope all is well with you.  
Concerning superficial phlebitis.  I'm curious as to weather this is worse in the winter months.  Also after hot summer days (working hard in the yard) it seems to act up more so in the evening hours while I'm just resting.  
The chest pains, SOB and coughing up phlegm that's tinged I think (for me) is a mixture of high or low BP and HR depending on the day/week LOL and my dirty habit of smoking.  
I have noticed my arms and legs will be red at times and warm but my feet are normally white on the bottom (as if I've been out in the cold) and sometimes my toes feel numb.  It's definitely worth checking into for next time it acts up.  It's not all the time thank goodness.  Anyhow I've taken up enough of your time.

Take care and I hope you have a Happy Halloween.  I love handing treats out to the little ones.  Thanks again for your help.  ;-)  

Amy
Wishing you to feel better and enjoy Halloween.
I do feel something warm moving through my body everyday. Is this a blood clot floating about. It is not located in any one spot.
so is this twichy feeling in my leg a blood clot moving around, no pain, redness or swelling.
When working I brused my arm and a small knot formed that I can feel with my finger on a vein. Now that the bruise is gone I was concerned about a blood clod in that area? Please if you have any info would love to hear from you. I have no pain just a small knot on my vein. ***@****
hi, i to get those knots when i hit my arm or leg, i think your safe as far as a blood clot unless you start getting pain , than i would have it checked, it takes mine a week for knot to go away depends on how hard i hit it lol