Heart Disease Community
Cardiac Catherization questions, Please!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

HI, I have so many questions while waiting for my cardiac catherization, but I will try and stay focused and just ask one at a time. This question relates to my cardiac catherization. When the dr. does the cardiac catherization, can you see the heart while laying there, or do they like to make sure that the pt. can not see the screen themselves?
               I would assume most people my age have some sort of blockage, so how does the dr. decide when or how to put a stent in or other procedure? How much of a blockage does there need to be, or do you have to have more than one blockage, or does it matter which artery or part of the heart the blockage is in?
         The doctor did tell me that he would do the stent right there if appropriate or if more surgery was needed,, I would stay in the hospital. Also, would the dr. decide to do the procedure, ( the catherization ) if he did not feel there was good reason to do so, not just because I wanted to find out myself. He did go through the explanation of all the risks, etc. The last time I went into the hospital for a routine surgery, I went into Antaphylactic Shock when they gave me the anitibiotic in my IV, so I don't look forward to the fact they are going into the femoral artery.( He said it was rare for people to be allergic to the dye. ) When you have had a blockage does the doctor tell you what he sees right then and there, or does he wait till you are back in your room, does he have to look over anything or he should be able to tell right there and then.

Thanks for the help and putting up with my questions.                            Fluffypurrcat
Tags: procedure
Can't help you with most of that, but I'd be concerned about getting a cath done without good reason, other than curiousity.

I do know that decisions as to what to do (or not do) are made right then and there.  

I am a highly trained amateur cardiologist--got most of my training at Google Medical School.   Are you planning to enter this field of endeavor?
When my Dad went in for his angiogram/angioplasty after his first heart attack, they gave him some happy drugs to relax him and he really doesn't remember much about the procedure. It's probably some conscious sedation like Versed, same thing they gave me for my ablations. If you don't want to see your heart on the screen, either ask them to turn the screen away from you or don't look. I watched the 4 catheters wiggling around in my heart during my first ablation. I was mildly drugged at the time and it was like watching the Discovery Channel.
I have never had a cath but there are many members of the forum who have and hopefully one wil respond to your question. It is my understanding that you can watch your heart and the drugs they give you really make it so you don't have any stress or fear. Typically, they will do a stent when the blockage is greater than 70%. Also, I don't think that all people our age have blockages, so much is due to risk factors, some that can be controlled and some that can't.

As far as a cardiologist doing a cath for no reason other than for reassuring the patient, some will do it for that reason alone, mine would not but did offer to refer me to one that would. We discussed a cath but after passing complete cardiac workups with echos, nuclear stress tests and all the blood work they could think of three straight years, my cardiologist said no to a cath as the chance of finding anything significant was not worth the risk, even a small as it is. I'm glad she didn't as my pain turned out to be gallbladder disease (with a little rheumatory arthritis thrown in), once it was out I felt much better. Don't get me wrong, if I was told I needed a cath I wuld do it without reservation, but they are normally done to see if a abnormal nuclear stress test was accurate and take care of the problem.

I hope everything goes well for you. Good luck and let us know how you are afterwards.

Jon
i have had a few of these cardiac and neuro cathiterizations and was terrified the first time,when i had it done i wondered what i was worrying for.You can see the screen but u need to be a dr to understand it althiugh you can see the dye.Sometimes they have told me there and then of the resultds and other times it has been later on in there rooms.They certainly wouldn't be doing it unless it was nesessary and usually you stay in overnight.It is a relatively painfree procedure as they will freeze the area of entry,
Stents are a fantastic thing and give me a new lease of life,you can feel the difference overnight( i felt like i could climb a mountain ).I always get tea and biccy's after and have a natter with the staff so if you have your questions ready i'm sure they will answer them.Please try not to worry to much it's not half has ugh as it sounds and it can only do you good.
   Good Luck
  Dawn
Hi, thanks for the answer to my questions. As far as my cardio doing it for no reason, I did have another test, the Persantine Cardioyte test, ( Stress test) and it did show up with abnormal results. that is why I was referred to the Cardiologist. He just was not sure about the Stress test results, and this test will decide what is going on. I do not think most dr.s would do a test with any kind of risks if there were no reason for it. I had an apparent MI one month ago, and that is why I had the Stress test to start with.

I am glad the dr.s were able to determine that you had a gallbladder problem and it was taken care of. Good luck.                          fluffypurrcat