Heart Disease Community
Chol/HDLC Ratio

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Chol/HDLC Ratio

My husband has a reading of 15.8 range on his lab test what does that mean? Should he be concerned about it?
Tags: test, reading
He needs to follow up with his primary care doctor and may need to be started on some cholesterol reducing medications.  Ideally his HDL should equal about 1/3rd of his total cholesterol.  The HDL is the good cholesterol and the LDL is the bad cholesterol.  Is this the first time he has ever had his cholesterol checked?  Was he fasting? (No eating/drinking after midnight).  Not to worry though, there are some great meds to reduce his total cholesterol, but they may need to help him with his diet also.
That still doesn't tell me what the high Chol/HDLC Ratio means.
The higher the ratio, the more of an increased risk of plaque building up in the coronary arteries.  Hope this helps.
What is the 15.8 ratio.?  Seems the ratio I deal with is like from 1 to 5, with 5 being the worst.  Must be talking about something different ??
I'm with Jim, a reference of 15.8 without qualification means absolutely nothing.  Can you post the reference, perhaps it would make more sense.  
The Chol/HDL ratio will equate to odd of getting heart disease plan and simple.  Your 15.8 number should convert to a percentage.

Here is some information but best place I have found is
http://www.labtestsonline.org

What tests are included in a lipid profile?

The lipid profile includes total cholesterol, HDL-cholesterol (often called good cholesterol), LDL-cholesterol (often called bad cholesterol), and triglycerides. Sometimes the report will include additional calculated values such as the Cholesterol/HDL ratio or a risk score based on lipid profile results, age, sex, and other risk factors.

How is a lipid profile used?

The lipid profile is used to guide providers in deciding how a person at risk should be treated. The results of the lipid profile are considered along with other known risk factors of heart disease to develop a plan of treatment and follow-up.

Still don't tell me anything........
I listened to a feature on NPR (National Public Radio) last Friday--an interview of Gary Taubes, author of a recently published book, "Good Calories, Bad Calories:  Challenging the conventional wisdom on Diet, Weight Control, and Disease.  He talked in the interview about the size of the LDL and how size matters.  You can listen to it by going to NPR.org and using their search engine by typing in Cholesterol or Gary Taubes.  Itwas very imformative and for me, personally helpful.
My last cholesterol test done on 10/15/08 showed :Chol/HDLC 2.9 L, what does this mean?
As well as what does VLDL cho 19.2 mean?
I am 41 and female
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Turbinate commented on The Turbinates: What ...
May 20
GregRoss commented on Attention All Mouth B...
May 20
6 Snacks You Can Make with Protein ...
May 20 by gymdandee