Heart Disease Community
EKG pattern different sitting than lying?

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I have a portable 3-lead ECG/EKG monitor. When sitting up the reading has a completely different shape than when lying down. The spacing between the what is normally the peak (I think this is the R wave) and the next spike (the T wave?) is much shorter when sitting up and has a different shape. Is this normal?
Tags: ekg, Heart
Of course. The electrical activity will look different because your heart is working slightly harder when sitting up rather than laying down. You have the force of gravity to pump against.
Yes, when lying down and relaxed there is a different wave pattern, and it is normal for faster heart beat to have a tighter representation of R-T segment...also, slight amplitude difference as well.  You may try to increase your heart rate when lying down, and you will see the difference.