Heart Disease Community
Elevated Troponin levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Elevated Troponin levels

Hello everyone,
I am 33 old male ,diabetic for 4 years and was having pain for 2 months in the chest  and left arm on and off.However pain became regular in the last 2 weeks or so .I was also going to gym almost every other day and was having pain issues either during exercise or after.Anyway this past Wednesday, I went to my doctor who did ECG and Blood test .ECG was ok but Blood test was showing a reading of .016 for troponin and Doctor asked me to go to Emergency  which I did ,In hospital they did some tests again and Troponin was at 0.17 So doctor decided to keep me in emergency for 2 days,They did blood test the following day again and Troponin level was 0.19 .On Friday morning , Doctor did stress test and it was ok so they let me go home but told me to come at a later date for more tests.I am home since yesterday but the pain and discomfort is slightly more in my chest and is not going away .I have a MIBI test next Thursday.Should I go back to hospital or wait for thusrday ? Do my Troponin readings confirm a heart attack and muscle damage or was it a warning ?
In all my admissions to hospital I have never been allowed to leave if my troponin is elevated. I find it very odd that people with normal troponin levels are having a nuclear test before you? You should have had the nuclear scan while in the hospital for 2 days. Was you in a cardiac ward during your stay? was the Doctor a general Doctor or a Cardiologist?
I was told that anything above 0.04 is regarded as needing urgent attention. My first positive troponin was 0.2 and that was a heart attack. The second positive troponin was 0.12 which was a 90% blockage. It is also evident from what you say, that the troponin level was increasing, not decreasing or remaining unchanged.
Go back to the emergency if you want my personal opinion and do not leave until they give a diagnosis. You don't mess with the heart.
Well I am in a small town in Canada and hospital is not that big.I was in ICU for 2 days ,One thing that I forgot to mention was that my blood pressure was normal for the most part.and stress test also turned out normal.Right now I am only taking baby aspirin once a day.Tomorrow is Sunday and I will check with family doctor again on Monday and will see what happens.
Elevated troponin typically indicates stress or damage to the heart muscle.  If the chest pain has worsened, I would suggest heading back to the hospital.
Hi,I just came back from doctor again and he said that since ECG is fine and this elevated Troponin only means that there is possibility that I might have heart attack .I have 2 tests ,Nuclear MIBI and Angiogram to go through and they will not coclude/diagnose anything at this stage .reg higher pulse and chest pain they say that Its ok for now and there is no immidiate danger.
I'm wondering who this Doctor is because there is such a thing as a non-stemi heart attack where ECG will look normal. As for Angiogram or Nuclear scan not concluding anything at this stage? that's exactly why they exist. Perhaps there is nothing causing immediate danger BUT that certainly isn't conclusive either. Troponin test is the most reliable blood test there is for heart issues, what more does the Doctor want. I'm sorry if I seem angry but I'm just concerned about your health. In all my hospital admissions, I've seen plenty of diagnosis' being made in error, including myself. I spent from 2006-2007 on anti-acid medication because my Troponin was normal and my ECG looked great. My pains therefore could not have been my heart. In 2007 I had a serious life threatening heart attack. On the plus side, thank goodness you have a nuclear scan booked.
Well I have Nuclear scan booked for this thursday and friday and Angiogram for Monday. Will probably know more then.My condition is slightly improved now.I am feeling hungry as usual now.Chest pain is still there but rapid heart beat has somewhat subsided now.One issue ,There is underarm sweating which is accompanied by  heartbeat or some sort of panic.But overall I feel a bit more on stable grounds as my 1st after ICU discharge.I was also able to walk 300m without much heartbeat issue today.
Hi, I  completed my Nuclear MIBI test today and will have the results next week.I am wondering the acccuracy of this test.How good is this test to show the any heart issues ?
It will reveal how much oxygen is reaching all areas of the heart muscle, with the heart resting and at stress. It is a valuable test to determine if there is any immediate concern, such as ishemia or dead heart tissue.
However, it will not always indicate if blockages exist in the main arteries. Sometimes if you have formed natural bypasses, it appears like the blockages do not exist.
I think my problem is more on the lines of oxygen issue as I recall I started having pain after using gym and lifting weights so lets see what that tests shows.I have angiogram scheduled for Monday.
Well I had my tests done today .It was Echocardiogram not angiogram (I misheard) .They will send the report to doctor and will know if there is anything wrong.
Hello All,
I just came back from my doctor and he told me the results of both Nuclear Mibi and Echocardiogram. Nuclear Mibi showed nothing ,No heart damage and no CAD.Echocardiogram showed some sort of fatty inside heart around the backwall or closer which doctor needs to examine further and he will do further testing  like looking into my heart etc etc. He terms it as Pallicardium which I googled and nothing came up like the term does not exist .Maybe I am spelling it incorrectly.
I also told him about frequent high pulse and high BP during certain times and he said that he will do Holter monitoring for 2 hrs to see how high my pressure and pulse goes.It seems to no clear diagnoses.What do you guys think?
Sorry Holter monitoring is for  24 hrs..
pericardium