Heart Disease Community
Elimination of earlobe creases

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Elimination of earlobe creases

What would be the nutritional approach to eliminate earlobe creases?
I'd quit smoking if you smoke, and wear hats and use sunblock, include a good quality lotion. Fruits and vegetables are recommended for good skin.   That being said, ear creases have absolutely nothing to do with heart disease, that's an urban legend.  

how would you remove an earlobe crease anyway?
Cosmetic surgery.  
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003045.htm
Well, I'd better get some creases put in mine then because my genes forgot to show me I was going to get heart disease. Where is the research in this? Did some bright spark just happen to notice quite a number of heart disease victims have creases in their ear lobes so a hypothesis was made that the two are linked? I have a good one. I hypothesise if you have two eyes, then there is a chance you will get heart disease.
More recent research suggests that earlobe creases are more common in older people, and that age, not the presence of creases, accounts for the increased heart attack risk.

Copied directly from that link.
I have just thought of an important question, one which could revolutionise the treatment of heart disease. IF creases in ear lobes is associated with heart disease, does that mean if you have them cosmetically removed, heart disease will disappear? Is that what we are suggesting here?
Let's take a look at the flip side - how many people over 50 have ear lobe creases but do not have heart disease? I bet the percentage is higher than those that do. I still believe that it's related to decreased skin tone as we age. That's why we get wrinkles other places as well.

I'll add here: the other day I happened to see a portion of Dr. Oz on TV and was disappointed to see that he has supported that old tale that ear lobe creases are an indication of heart problems. Shame on you Dr. Oz.
I bet he's a wizard of a Doctor.
LOL @ Ed
I saw a cardiologist from the Cleveland Clinic and one of my concerns was earlobe creases.  He said that there was some indication that they did mean something, i.e., were inidicative of possible heart disease, but that there were much better indications,  such as the results from stress tests and echo-cardiograms.  So if those are okay, you can forget worrying about earlobe creases.
Thanks ed34 for all the chit chat about - ear-lobe creases -.  I had no idea there was any connection either.  In fact I didn't know ear-lobes ever had creases.

However, I have to say I could not help laughing at the banter between you all it was uplifting and made me laugh, which was just what the doctor ordered.  
I'll add my two cents into this.  I am 70 now and way back in my twenties I did not have a regular Dr. so I had the flu or something and went to an internist and he treated me but made the comment I would have heart trouble because I had creases in my ears.  He was right but his odds were pretty good, I guess.

crow260
Due to age ive got creases appearing all over the place. Should I lock myself in an oxygen bubble now do you think?  I'm still waiting for the scientific link between a creased piece of skin and atherosclerosis tho, it should be interesting. However, next time I'm in hospital I'll tell the cardiologist she has it all wrong. I didn't need my 6 stents and a triple bypass after all, cause I have no creases in my ear lobes.
You are correct, laughter is great medicine. I've had a real giggle over this too. I can now picture a few people putting their heads down on an ironing board, spraying their ears with starch and getting the creases out. Mind you, sitting in the tumble dryer for 20 minutes should do the trick.
All I have to say is "duct tape"  There, I fixed it again.  Ally
Those natives in the rainforests have the right idea. They make HUGE holes in their earlobes, large enough for a train to get through. No chance of creases there.
I think Dr. Oz's comment was based upon this post-mortem study in England in 1989.

I am not certain if this study has been repeated since, and the creases of course could be age or genetics though the rate of incidence for those with CV disease is pretty significant. Again, it would be interesting to check for other, more recent, studies, if one had the time.
Here's the link to the postmortem ear lobe crease research:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1216678/
Please do not say that! In some cases it IS from artery blockage! It was in mine. At 40 years young I had a triple bypass with 95% blockage and previous to my surgery had started getting creased earlobes about three years prior. By the time I had surgery it was bad. I had also gotten to the point that I could no longer run up the three flights of stairs that I had been doing several times a day for several years and was fatigued all of the time. This hit me like a ton of bricks, I mean I was only 40, in good physical shape, at well... you know the rest! So anyone out there that is wondering, if you have other symptoms go get tested!! I would also like to add that nothing was seen on several test: EKG, heart monitor, etc UNTIL they ran a treadmill stress test. Even then they didn't think it was much said I would get a heart cat and probably go home with a new stent at the end of the day. When I woke from that I had a different Cardiologist at the end of my bed telling me if I had a heart atack in front of him he would not be able to save me. I noticed a couple of weeks after the surgery the creases were gone!!!
Please, Please anyone if you have noticed creased earlobes have developed along with other symptoms get checked and don't stop with the small test if you feel something is wrong demand a treadmill stress test! You know when something is wrong with your body, so listen to it. Especially us women, we tend to ignore our body and keep going with all the things we feel we need to do for our loved ones, but you can't do it anymore if you allow heart disease to take you away because you did not listen to your body!!
Question: were both your earlobes creased?  I am 45 and noticed that one of my earlobes was creased starting a couple years ago.  I assumed it was just from age and sun damage (it's my left ear, the side that is exposed to sun while I'm driving.) but now I'm wondering.
I'd relax about earlobe creases and heart disease.  If removing earlobe creases I should be free of CHF, which I'm assuredly not!  I have  heart disease and had ear creases, but the ear creases were removed when I had to have a chemo treatment called Carac to remove basal cell cancers, and my ear creases disappeared!  I was a commercial fisherman on the ocean for quite a number of years and got a lot of sun, mostly on the left side of my head which caused skin wrinkling, my skin looked like a lizard hide before the Carac, and I stll won't be a model for a skin cream.  Rest assured from someone with a long history of heart issues, ear creases have absolutely nothing to do with heart blockages.  On the other hand, smoking, stress, diabetes and diet have everything to do with heart health.