Heart Disease Community
Heart rate in the 80's normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Heart rate in the 80's normal?

Last summer I had a panic attack for the first time ever and was rushed to the ER since I had absolutely no idea what it was and thought it was serious. After several tests *Thyroid, Blood, EKG, Ultra Sound on the heart, Holter Monitor..etc* they ruled all that out and said I was fine. After that I constantly kept having anxiety attacks as I kept worrying and thinking about the first time I had it and how much it worried me that I'd have another which only made things worse. From July to December my HR would always be around 100. I'd always be completely anxious, and nervous about everything and anything. I wasn't eating nor sleeping right and that didn't make anything better. I then went to my doctor and cardiologist again and had all the tests done again. Test came out normal again. Finally, I decided that I needed to make a change and that I didn't want anxiety to take over and control my life. I started eating healthy, sleeping better, and became a positive person that doesn't worry bout things much anymore. After a few weeks of doing this my HR has been in the mid to upper 80's and 90 at the most *after eating or just being nervous about something*

Is having your HR in the mid to upper 80's normal?

I keep reading how having a fast heart rate can cause a heart attack and I know im only 20 but that type of thing scares me! LOL

Also, I'm a huge sports chick. I'm obsessed with hockey and well..everytime I watch a game my heart rate skyrockets into the early 100's. It goes down after I am calm and relieved but yeah..is that normal and healthy? I can't help it either Like right now with the playoffs being so close I am totally pumped and always at the edge of my seat. My HR goes way up and I get all excited and nervous at the same time. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or if THAT can cause a heart attack?

You're young!! you're supposed to get nervous and excited!! What is life without thrills???

A normal resting heartrate is usually between 60-100bpm.. 80 is a great number, especially since making positive lifestyle changes your resting heart rate has come down...

It sounds like you're on the right road to recovery and having some lingering doubts... Dont :) you sound like you're doing fabulous to me :) if it becomes overly concerning, im sure your doctor can reassure you as well..
Hi HockeyCrazy

The issue being overlooked here is your anxiety. I would put huge money on the fact that you physically are very well, but I wouldn't overlook the fact you are suffering from anxiety.

Anxiety is extremely common and can be quite miserable to endure.

When I was in my early 20s (now 39) I had a period where I had an anxiety attack, constantly thought I was either dying of was mentally ill, and frankly grew sick of worrying about it. Eventually I saw a great Doctor who explained how common anxiety was and he made me an appointment to talk to an anxiety counsellor who was awesome. I also took some antianxiety meds for about 6 weeks.

At nearly 40 I'm a much more relaxed person. I can get anxious like everyone else, but feel much better.

Hope that helps.
what size of a person are you?

Many girls that are small in size/weight often will have higher resting heart rates than larger folks............60-100 is normal.

Athletes will often have HRs in the 40 - 50 range........

If it is a smooth consistent pulse that is good............

You can bring it down by avoiding stimulants and sugars in the diet.

How's you blood pressure?

And don't get so wound up at sports....enjoy them but remember they are just a game.........
First off to those that responded, thank you very much! I appreciate it and feel much better after reading the nice comforting comments. :)

You guys are right I am young so I should just relax! I do tend to get REALLY excited though during the playoffs. I can't help it and unfortunately won't be able to calm myself down when games are on. LOL

Other than that I've been much better though! I'm actually proud of myself. I was a total mess 5-6 months ago and slowly but surely I've been getting better. :)

PghPanther- I'm 20 year olds, 5'1 and 116 pounds.
Also, forgot to mention that my BP is always really good and normal.
A normal resting heart rate is 60-100 beats per minute.  You're normal.

Next time you go see a hockey game, pay attention to it and not your heart.  This isn't any way of enjoying life ;)  Take if from someone who knows personally.  You sound like a very healthy young woman.  Please try to rest easy in that.