Heart Disease Community
How do you fail a stress test?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

How do you fail a stress test?

Ok, another question, I need to do a stress treadmill test.  I have severe panic attacks, and one of them is when I get my heart rate up, it scares me, and I start hyperventilating and go into full panic mode.  I tried to do the treadmill test once, and as soon as they got the electrodes on me, Bam, went into panic attack and couldn't do it.  (Yes, go ahead and laugh at me)  So anyways, eventually they would like me to do it, and I'm just wondering if I could fail it because once I'm on it, and my heart rate goes up and I panic and it sends it sky high, which it does to around 180, will they fail me?  I don't know what a failed or passed test consists of.  Thanks!  Michelle
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
88793_tn?1290230777
They induced my heart rate, some how it went too fast and the Dr down there said he didn't want it goes that fast.  He quickly pushed the reversal in.  The duration was only 1.5 minutes.  My symptoms haven't turned up yet but they stopped it.  The Dr at the Stress Test was not happy with my pictures but my cardio sound he got no problem and passed with flying colour.
Blank
Micheller: My heart goes out to you!  I'm not sure that you can fail a stress test.  It is simply an indicator to provide a base line of the ability of your heart to endure a certain level of stress due to increased demands on your body through exercise.  You will be with a professional who know when to continue and when to stop the test.  

Answer this question:  What are you afraid of?  Then see if you can't resolve this anxiety.  

As a suggestion, schedule some time to visit the location of where the test will be.  Ask them to explain the process.  Ask them to show you everything including the cords/patches that they attach to you.  Ask them if you can step on to the treadmill.  The point is to give you an opportunity to familiarize yourself with the environment.  

By all means, ask questions until you are comfortable.  If you see a professional, talk to him/her about this test you need to take.  

Best of luck!
Blank
Micheller: My heart goes out to you!  I'm not sure that you can fail a stress test.  It is simply an indicator to provide a base line of the ability of your heart to endure a certain level of stress due to increased demands on your body through exercise.  You will be with a professional who know when to continue and when to stop the test.  

Answer this question:  What are you afraid of?  Then see if you can't resolve this anxiety.  

As a suggestion, schedule some time to visit the location of where the test will be.  Ask them to explain the process.  Ask them to show you everything including the cords/patches that they attach to you.  Ask them if you can step on to the treadmill.  The point is to give you an opportunity to familiarize yourself with the environment.  

By all means, ask questions until you are comfortable.  If you see a professional, talk to him/her about this test you need to take.  

Best of luck!
Blank
A treadmill stress test is about the simplist thing in the world. Relax and enjoy the test.If you just cannot complete the treadmill stress test there is presently a way to chemically cause a stress test without your ever doing any exercise and you don't evan know you are taking the test. I would assume your doctor (or clinic) knows about this if he doesn't then you need to ask him(doctor) to reccomend a (clinic) that does.  You could probable do a search on internet and find information on this stress test.
Blank
Micheller,

I def. understand I had a stress test a few months ago, I also have severe panic attacks, (easily induced by exercise)

A few things that helped me.  I brought my meds and had them in my pocket, safetly blanket type effect.

I also told the nurses that I was very scared and that I suffer with panic attacks.  They helped me by talking about pleasent topics and distracting me from the procedure.

The last thing I did was "to mentally reassure myself, that this was the best possible thing to do for my imediate health.  The doctors are prepared for every scenario."

I was scared that I would do horrible and they would just ship me to the cath-lab.  Well I ended doing excellent.  

I know it is difficult.  Good Luck!
Blank
I just met with my cardiologist today.  Because I had shortness of breath and I am over weight and my BP is high he has ordered a chemical induced stress test.  (While we were living in the mountains I had shortness of breath.  We have since moved back down to sea level and I have not had the shortness of breath).

I also am over weight like a 100 pounds over, was scheduled to have lap banding but they cancelled 30 min prior to surery due to low plaetelts at 50,000

Now my platelets have fallen took treatment in Aug , Sep and due to go for more end of Oct

I cannot go and have a breast byopsy till platelets stay up

Now this.

I am afraid.  I have panic attacks with tests.  I cannot take any meds to calm me down.

He feels I have no heart problems but says sometime may be  hiding.  He has also orderd an echo cardiogram.  Why can't I just do that test and take this one at a later date after all my other health problems have been satisfied.

Should I go ahead with this test what is it like?  My husband had it and he said if you have a heart condition it will bring it on

norma jean
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Top Heart Disease Answerers
63984_tn?1385441539
Blank
Flycaster305
97303, OR
976897_tn?1379171202
Blank
ed34
watford, United Kingdom
Blank
skydnsr
159619_tn?1318997813
Blank
erijon
Salt Lake City, UT
612551_tn?1247839157
Blank
Jerry_NJ
NJ
329165_tn?1412685860
Blank
Smiley2000
Australia
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
Start Tracking Now
Blank
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
1236893_tn?1408490528
Blank
gymdandee commented on GMO'S IN THESE F...
19 hrs ago
Blank
awesomesauce33 commented on Body Builders, Kidney...
Oct 21
86819_tn?1378951092
Blank
Bromley busy with problem solving. Comment
Oct 21
Heart Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979