Heart Disease Community
How to improve ejection fraction rate

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

How to improve ejection fraction rate

Had a drug inducing stent implanted last October.  At the time I was told my ejection fraction was 51.  Have been exercising anywhere from 1 to 4 hours / day 5 to 6 days / week.  This includes weight lifting but primarily cardio.  I believe my diet is almost as healthy as you can get (Mediterranean).  Alcohol intake is 8 to 12 oz of red wine / day.  Can I ever count on an improvement in my ejection fraction?

This discussion is related to chances of improving an ejection fraction of 30-35% by cardiac rehab and meds.
When ESTIMATING the EF, it is a snapshot of left ventricle function at the time of the test. The LV dilates to compensate for other system factors (heart rate, blood pressure variations, etc.) to maintain a balance of blood flow between the heart's left and right side.  

When the heart (LV) dilates there are stronger contractions and an EF increase (normal range 50-70).  If there is a pathological underlying cause, the LV can/will over compensate and the dilated LV  loses EF percentage.

If there is no heart muscle damage, you should experience an increase in your EF.  What is the dimension of your LV chamber?
I have been having palpatations severe enough to have warranted several test including, EKG, nucear stress test,etc and was told my Ejection Fraction  % was 55%.

I am currently taking Blood Pressure meds and I know if I lose weight and stop smoking, it will help, but what else can I do to improve my Ejection Fraction?

***@****

You are doing the right thing to generally improve  your heart's health.  Your EF is in the normal range!  No need for concern.

Thanks for you question, and i you have any followup questions you are welcome to respond.
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
SassyLassie commented on photo
Apr 16
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
Apr 16
SassyLassie commented on photo
Apr 16