Heart Disease Community
ICD queston

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

ICD queston

Does anyone know about EMI (electromagnetic interference) and ICD's? I've already seen too many EP's about this; they disagree with each other and I'm frustrated with going to from dr to dr trying to figure this out when I know something's wrong (long winded post is in the HR forum for more info) The only info I find is if the leads are too closely implanted to the device there can be a problem like this.

my ICD (Boston Sci Teligen 100) seems to pick up alot of interference when there really isn't any there...I fainted hit my head pretty bad, went to the ER and the interrogation has shown I've had 3 VTach episodes in June but it said there was noise in the RV channel - no clue what's causing the noise though; since it sensed noise - no shock therapy and I've had tons of events since implant 2 years ago.

I just find it hard to believe it's just noise when I know the 9th I was in bed sick only getting up 1 time at lunch, 15th was during sleep 9:30pm and I might buy the 17th because I was sitting in the dr's waiting room but I think it was my ICD picking up on my symptoms from walking out in the heat and I was SOB, dizzy and was having VT.

current cardio is sending me to a new EP because after I went to the ER and they found this; he agrees with me...anyone had what they said was EMI but really found to be a malfunction of the ICD or the icd not sensing arrhythmia's correctly?
After having a good read, there does seem to be a lot of mention about your ICD. How Boston actually had them approved by the FDA but then changed their method of production for example, causing a recall I think. I did come across a couple of cases where the leads were at fault and not the ICD. One case was the RV lead, and this wasn't made by Boston so they washed their hands of it. From the sound of it, the ICD is likely to be fine, if there's a problem it's more likely to be one of the leads.
I should have put that sorry; BS ICD and 2 Guidant Leads.  I read a few places about the leads being too close to the unit early on will cause problems and make the device seat in too closely to the unit making noise (I think that's the explanation).

I think with my problem is lead placement has always been too high...but then it's quirky, impedance will be high then 3 months later lowered then go really high which perplexes the dr's since they say they were supposed to be sutured in and tight by 6 months out.

hopefully I'll have enough info for the new EP in a couple of weeks and get this figured out; I'm just worried it won't work when it needs to because it senses noise when really my heart's being cranky like in June.