Heart Disease Community
Is there an alternative to an angiogram ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I have had an ECG stress test and a Myoview scan, both of which have shown an abnormal result. I now have to decide whether to have an angiogram but am worried about the risks involved. My cardiologist doesn't seem to think that any problems I have are too severe and that in fact there's a chance that both tests could be giving false positive results. I wondered whether cardiac MRI or cardiac computed tomography are a viable alternative to an angiogram ? Any advice would be appreciated. { I am female, 49. with high cholesterol  - I am now on statins, beta blockers and aspirin }
Well unfortunately, there are no suitable alternatives.  An angiogram is the "gold standard" to find if there are blockages in the arteries.  A MRI or 64CT / PET scan can clearly show how much of heart muscle or "myocardium" is still viable following a heart attack, of course it does show occluded arteries, if there is significant blockage.   If you have / dont have blockages, the aforementioned tests may prove simply prove inconclusiv.  Nuclear stress tests often have a 10% false positive.  My friend, I too am in the same boat with you.  Just say a prayer and lets gets this angiogram done.  We will survive, almost all do.
Hi, welcome to the club of inconclusive tests. I too had a Abnormal Stress test, and because I did not go to the ER with my sympoms of a MI, I am having one test after another. My cardio reccomended the Cardiac Catherrization as xzarrion says, it is the Gold Standard of cardiac tests. It does not mean it will show what the problem is, but it will show if you have any significent blockages in your arteries. My catherization didn't show any significent blockages, so I had a Echocardiogram and I won't know the results of that untill next week. The cath test is very good, no more pain except the insertion of the IV, and with the meds they give you, you do not really remember much. Even though I was awake, I still do not remember much and it was over before I knew it. the worst part in my case, is if you have any kind of back problem , having to stay on my back and keeping the leg straight for 6 or more hourse was the real problem. For the next 3 days I had a bad back pain, and ended up in the ER with severe neck muscle spasms.
( But I allready have pre-existing back pain , chronic that I take Methadone for, and the Methadone did nothing for this pain.) Remember, I may be the exception to the rule.
       Good luck if you decide to have the test. Even though I don't have any answers yet to my problem, at least I know it is not due to blocked arteries.

Fluffypurrcat
I'm having a CT angiogram Thursday.  It avoids an interventional procedure that has some risk.  X-ray exposture presents some risk for cancer, but my non-interventional cardiologist feels a CT angiogram is sufficient and I'm not disputing his recommendation.  I had a cath angiogram and a stent 4 years ago, there was no problem as I was in a hospital setting for 3-4 days. However, some people experience a bleeding problem at the site of the cath insertion and pain that lasts several days.

If you decide on an interventional procedure, have an understanding with the doctor whether or not to have a stent implant before being under medication during the procedure.  Often the doctor may implant a stent when it is unnecessary.  I would opt for the CT.