LV Concentric hypertrophy
Dear doctor,

I have High blood pressure for the past 5 years.

I was under medication for past 3 years.But i have never seen my Blood pressure under control.

Recently, Ultrasound scan was done and the cardiologist said that i have mild LV concentric hypertrophy.

Now iam taking Losartran potassium 50 Mg regularly.

Please advise whether this state of Hypertrophy is curable.

Regards,
jahan
Hypertrophy in medical terms means enlargement of the size and concentric means all round. In terms of heart, concentric LV hypertrophy means that the muscle of the left sided pumping chamber of the heart has increased in size and thickness. This usually occurs because of either high blood pressure or any obstruction to the outflow of blood from the left heart. Commonest example of latter is narrowing of the valve (aortic valve). I suppose only your doctor can tell you as to the real reason of this LV hypertrophy. Remedial measures can only be taken once you know the cause of LV hypertrophy. From what I have read, there can be some regression in LVCH once the underlying cause is treated, in your case your high blood pressure.

You mention you have seen no improvement in three years, what is your current blood pressure running? I had uncontrolled high blood pressure and was put on Benicar HCT 2 years ago and mine dropped from 140/85 to 110/70 almost instantly so keep looking for the drug combination that works for you. Also, do you monitor your blood pressure at home? It can sometimes be higher in your doctor's office and the drug store machines are notoriously inaccurate.

Good Luck,

Jon
Dear John,

Thanks for your response.

Now my blood is under control with losartran pottassium 50 mg. its around 130/90 torr at doctors office and 120/80 torr at home.

Is this hypertrophy will become normal if my Blood pressure is controlled.

Please explain.