Left subclavian artery
I am 46 year old female. The nurse called with doplar test results that indicate "steel" something in my left subclavian artery. They have already made an appointment with a surgeon to discuss this. What is going on, and should I be afraid?

This discussion is related to Subclavian Steal Syndrome.
I did a google search and found this:

"In medicine, subclavian steal syndrome (SSS), also called subclavian steal phenomenon or subclavian steal steno-occlusive disease, is a constellation of signs and symptoms that arise from retrograde (reversed) flow of blood in the vertebral artery or the internal thoracic artery, due to a proximal stenosis (narrowing) and/or occlusion of the subclavian artery.
SSS results when the short low resistance path (along the subclavian artery) becomes a high resistance path (due to narrowing) and blood flows around the narrowing via the arteries that supply the brain (left and right vertebral artery, left and right internal carotid artery). The blood flow from the brain to the upper limb in SSS is considered to be stolen as it is blood flow the brain must do without.

As in vertebral-subclavian steal, coronary-subclavian steal may occur in patients who have received a coronary artery bypass graft using the internal thoracic artery (ITA).[3] As a result of this procedure, the distal end of the ITA is diverted to one of the coronary arteries (typically the LAD), facilitating blood supply to the heart. In the setting of increased resistance in the proximal subclavian artery, blood may flow backward away from the heart along the ITA causing myocardial ischemia. Vertebral-subclavian and coronary-subclavian steal can occur concurrently in patients with an ITA CABG.[4]

The case I found on the internet were surgical corrected.  Take care, Ally
Here is a link for more information with medhelp expert forum that discusses the subject you are interested.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Heart-Disease/Subclavian-Steal-Syndrome/show/867261
Hi I am 56 years old and I had Left Subclavian Steel Syndrome. I had a stint put in at the Aortic Arch and left subclavian right where it branches the Stint was crushed by my bones and then it formed it's own bypass when it was completely blocked. my question is since it formed it's own bypass no surgery how long can it last or can I last.