Heart Disease Community
Lexapro medication and heart palpitations

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I have been diagnosed last year with Supraventricular Ectopic episodes after wearing a seven day event monitor.
I also have occasions of a fast heart beat (95 bpm)
Recently, I have noticed an increase of my palpitations to a number of times daily from before that every odd day.
Two weeks ago, I began taking Lexapro for depression and anxiety and I am wondering if this medication can increase the occurrance of palpitations.
I went to the ER the other day and had blood tests and chest xray due to the problem having increased so much. Nothing was picked up by the doctor and I was sent home.
Also is Supraventricular Ectopic episodes the same term for PVCs?
Some people experience an increase in palpitations with medications such as Lexapro.  Some people experience a decrease.  It all depends on the person.

If you're going to have ectopic beats, the ones you have are the ones to have ;)
Supraventricular ectopics originate above the ventricles and are otherwise known as PACs or premature atrial contractions - they are completely harmless and are distinct from PVCs which come directly from the ventricles.  Other people have commented that Lexapro has increased their palps but it is a very individual thing since it has decreased my PVCs.  
I too started taking lexapro for anxiety and pvcs and its now wk 2. Its hard to say whether they are worse on the meds or not? Sometimes I feel they are worse other times I feel better. Its a tough question to really answer. I started with 5 mg (cut the 10 mg tablets) in half and try that for a few wks until your body gets used to it and I am sure it will dissipate (arrythmia) etc ... Its a tough decision to make- treat the anxiety vwhich is dibilitating or the arrythmia which is scary as hell! So what is it?

I seem to get a higher incidence of arrythmia pvcs in the first few hours after taking the medication it seems then after it tends to taper off and then I feel good. I think you need to let the meds work especially if its early days taking it. Good luck.