Heart Disease Community
Metoprolol and rapid heart beat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Metoprolol and rapid heart beat

After wearing a heart monitor for 24 hrs my Doctor told me that I had tachycardia and prescribed 25 mg metoprolol once a day.I have been taking the medicine for six
days now and feel generally unwell.  I'm tired and my stomach has been bothering me.  More importantly, I have been having a kind of "needling" pain in my chest.  It's mild and not very painful.  I have also woken up two times over the past three nights with a rapid heart beat (I couldn't say how many beats per minute, but I felt it literally pounding in my chest like a hammer) that went back to normal after maybe a minute or two.  I also feel when I lay down to go to bed that my heart is kind of flip-flopping around in my chest.  I didn't really have any of these symptoms before I started taking the metoprolol and I know these aren't normal side effects.  I plan on calling my doctor on Tuesday, but in the meantime I'm kind of unnerved and scared about these symptoms.  Could this just be my body adjusting to the medicine?  I am a 29 yr old female, not overweight, don't smoke, generally healthy, and not taking any other medications.  I'm also a little concerned because my blood pressure has always been very low..and from what I understand metoprolol can be diagnosed for high blood pressure.  Could this be causing my heart to work harder?
i know how you feel am taking atenolol 11 days now and having side affects to nerves ,stress,noty hungry week ect , yes your bodt trying to get used to meds am call my dr tomorrow to . good luck hang in ther if it gets to bad you can call office and a nurse will call you back
It could be you adapting, but it's best to check.  Call your doctor about the symptoms.
I've been taking 50 mg daily (25mg morning and evening) of metoprolol since early '04. I'm 49, male and aerobically active (cycling). I noted an immediate decrease in resting and exercise heartrate, and a reduction in aerobic capacity. I have kept exercising and now hardly notice the difference, except when I exercise at altitude. I also initially experienced cold hands/feet, and very vivid dreams, both disappeared in time. No stomach upset or other problems.

Rapid heartbeat with a beta blocker is unusual, unless you're trying to wean yourself off of the drug. Discuss it with your cardiologist or PCP.
I also started experiencing an awareness of my heart beat as soon as I started taking Metoprolol.  It woke me up in the middle of the nite.  Yes, the doctor told me that beta blockers would not cause that, but it's too coincidental that I just started having this sympton after beginning the drug.

What was the outcome for you?
The beta blockers !  metoprolol -toprol  all the same -  I took toprol xl for about 6.5 yrs
had adverse effects from it - its used to slow the heart rate and lower blood pressure..
I have palps -  it helped but didnt really knock the b.p down enough. - there are so meny side effects from beta blockers,  sleepless nights is one - vivid dreams and nightmares
internal shakes, itching-  numbness in hands and feet - headaches- cramping everywhere
bloating belly - waight gain (rapid)  as well balding -and thinning of hair is very common.
some people get blurred vision from this med.  ringing of ears (tentinus)  the list goes on
and on !!!!     your get up and go you had , got up and went !  its a Nasty bad drug to take

My new Doctor put me on ccb  cal channel blocker -  its better and works good - however  have a few issues with it.. but not like the beta blocker !  

I would ask or Demand whatever the case may- be ! to switch to another medication
such as a ccb -  these help to slow the heart rate down , and it stops palps..

Another thing you might try - if you feel uptight or jittery from the beta blocker
is a powder drink called Natural Calm.   this really helps and clams a person down real good..  its 100% natural.  

also I found taking - melatonin 3mg  before bedtime.. helped me sleep sound
though I woke up a few times suddenly - I could fall back asleep again.  

Just to note: iv been off toprol for over 5weeks now,  and im having some side effects
direct to the toprol xl -  as they say it takes months to get it out of your system ..
and me taking it for over 6.5 years.  .. big Ouch there..  

hope I helped or gave some light here..  
take care
Boogerman