Middle of Night Heart Pounding/Palpitations
Occasionally, as about an hour ago, I will wake from a sound sleep with my heart pounding almost as if I'm panicked.  I have 2 sisters who claim to have those symptoms associated with panic attacks where they "freak out" and have even gone to the hosp.  I'm not panicked, but admitedly worried because so many women DO ignore actual symptoms of Heart Attack until it is too late.  I always take an aspirin "just in case" - is this a bad idea?  I never remember to see my doc during the day, or even mention it to another physician.

My heart rate is only 84, bp left is 131/72 right 113/69.  Which doesn't seem anything to worry about, yet the feel of heart pounding is disturbing.  Left arm tingling is often present, however I have neck problems and arm tingling is usually caused anytime I sleep on one side too long.

I often have feelings of pounding after eating as well, but heart rate seldom exceeds 85-90 bpm.

History: I have Lupus, Fibromyalgia, Immune deficiency, osteoporosis, mild/moderate sleep apnea (untreated).  I was told in 1989 that I had a Mitral Valve Prolapse, but that was recinded in 2001 when a new echo & stress test did not show signs.  

Meds: In the morning I take 4mg prednisone, and 5mg dexedrine, At bedtime I take 90 mg of Avinza, and I rotate antibiotics for frequent infections (currently taking Avelox 1x day or Clindamycin 300  4xday,
What you are referring to can be what is medically referred to as heart palpitations. Palpitations are usually not serious. However, it depends on whether or not the sensations represent an abnormal heart rhythm. The following conditions make you more likely to have an abnormal heart rhythm and should be ruled out:  You should contact your doctor.

Known heart disease at the time the palpitations begin
Significant risk factors for heart disease
An abnormal heart valve
An electrolyte abnormality in your blood -- for example, a low potassium level.  A simple blood test can rule that out.

I wanted to piggy back on what kenkeith stated. Another thing for you to address is the untreated sleep apnea. There is a correlation to degrees of sleep apnea and heart problems. I recently went through sleep testing (positive for severe sleep apnea with low oxygen) and I really had no typical signs of sleep issues except for awakening at night with increased heart rate.The study was able to confirm the low oxygen at the time of the increased heart rate. Joan.
The Dexedrine and prednisone might be making your heart beat faster.  Along with the antibiotics, you might want to see how well you do off the medication for a short time and boost your immune system with vitamins, instead.