Aa
A
A
Close
Mitral Regurgitation (moderate to severe) surgery or not?
Hi been diagnosed with blockages in some of my coronary arteries left decending artery 90% at proximal, left coronary and right coronary subtotal occlusion. Also been diagnosed with moderate to severe mitral valve regurgitation. I am scheduled for stenting tomorrow. Some cardiologists say that the regurgitation might get better due to the fact that ptca or stenting may increase the circulation in my heart. i am scared that after stenting I would need to go to surgery for the mitral valve.
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
11548417 tn?1506084164
The whole idea of stenting is to increase blood circulation in the heartmuscle, so I fully agree with that.
As far as the regurgitation is concerned, I do not immediately understand why improving blood supply would help for that.
I therefore share your concern that after stenting you still end up with a moderate/severe leaking valve.

Still, I would probably opt for the stenting, as this is done very quickly.
If the mitral leakage is not in a stage that immediate repair is necessary, you can for now avoid open heart surgery.
If, at a certain time, the regurgitation further increases and/or your heart begins to suffer from it, mitral valve repair can still be done.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1499916784
Blank
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506084164
Blank
Netherlands