Mitral Regurgitation (moderate to severe) surgery or not?
Hi been diagnosed with blockages in some of my coronary arteries left decending artery 90% at proximal, left coronary and right coronary subtotal occlusion. Also been diagnosed with moderate to severe mitral valve regurgitation. I am scheduled for stenting tomorrow. Some cardiologists say that the regurgitation might get better due to the fact that ptca or stenting may increase the circulation in my heart. i am scared that after stenting I would need to go to surgery for the mitral valve.
The whole idea of stenting is to increase blood circulation in the heartmuscle, so I fully agree with that.
As far as the regurgitation is concerned, I do not immediately understand why improving blood supply would help for that.
I therefore share your concern that after stenting you still end up with a moderate/severe leaking valve.

Still, I would probably opt for the stenting, as this is done very quickly.
If the mitral leakage is not in a stage that immediate repair is necessary, you can for now avoid open heart surgery.
If, at a certain time, the regurgitation further increases and/or your heart begins to suffer from it, mitral valve repair can still be done.