Heart Disease Community
Mitral Valve Prolapse & Sleep Apnea Question

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Greetings,   I was diagnosed with MVP in 1980 while in the US Navy. Since then, echocardiograms show Mitral Regurgitation. My symptoms while not unique, are a bit extreme and not typically seen as the normal person with this defect, doesn't even know they have it. Symptons are things like, hypertension, palpitations, racing heart, stabbing chest pain skipping beats, thumping chest while lyeing down etc etc.
   Last week I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. This was diagnosed thru a sleep study at the V.A. I am scheduled for a CPAP machine and new echo for my heart on Aug 4th, 2009. A recent heart EKG showed a LBBB with bradicardia and palpitations. With all that said, I am curious as to the "link" between M.V.P and S.A.
Question #1. Is is possible for a MVP to "cause" Sleep Apnea? I realize that the S.A. can put a lot of stress on the heart and lungs but the angle in which I am going with this is opposite of that.
   While I did have S.A. and bad snoring while in the Navy, there is no mention of it in my medical record. Therefore the V.A. will not cover it. If there is a link between the two in regards to the heart either causing or contributing to the S.A. then there may be a case.
   Any info or opinion whether positive or negative is much appreciated.  Thank You
I'd recommend asking your doctor. I have MVP with mild/mod regurg and slightly enlarged left atrium. In everything I've read on it, snoring is not a symtom. Also, I've found that 250 mg of Chelated Magnesium twice a day will help contol the anxiety, breathing problems and palpitations. Read up on Magnesium deficiency and the role it plays in MVP.
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
LindaTX commented on margypops's status
LindaTX commented on mkh9's status
Aaronhoffer added the Heart Rhythm Tracker
Aug 28