Heart Disease Community
My condition and recreational drug use

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

My condition and recreational drug use

A bit of background:

I have a very rare heart condition
I have had 3 bypass surgeries on my heart, one when I was 2 one when I was 7, and one when I was 17,

I was very much considering taking cocaine this weekend because of a big event that lasts all day and I know drinking will make me pass out.

What are the risks of taking cocaine with my heart condition, and how will it affect my INR readings (how thin my blood is)

You're kidding right? You have had 3 bypass surgeries that have your heart already compromised and you're consider taking enough cocaine to get through the day for an "event"? I must be missing something.

Medically, it is a very poor decision as the cocaine interferes with your hearts ability to control it's rate and rhythm. Cocaine could very easily cause a cardiac event including sudden cardiac death. It will also elevate you blood pressure to dangerous levels and prolonged use may cause many cardiomyopathies including dilation of the heart muscle itself.

Please make a wiser decision. A  few hours of being high will never be worth your long term health.

Jon
Why would you even consider this?  Is the cocaine use a prerequesite to attending this "event"?  The real "event" might happen while you are high.  Think about the question you just asked!  I mean really read your own post.   Ally
I'm not kidding no, I have never had any problems with blood pressure, and my heart is very healthy since the surgery. I have it checked twice a year. I'm more worried about the affect it will have on my INR. Ive on,y ever done it twice before and I'm most likely to take it on sat I just want to be aware of the risks. However I appreciate your responses and I will take them into account.

What are the statistical chances of death?

Ben  
In your case, much too high..................
Ben, read your question:
I am still wondering why anyone would take that chance.  Ally
Well people who have healthier hearts than you drop dead from cocaine use.  If it is "bad" cocaine, cut with something maybe whatever is cut with will kill you. If you are going to be on coke and doing physical activity that increases your risk of death more.  

Taking care of yourself can get your through a long day at any event. Hydration, good food B vitamins.  

Whatever.
A large percentage of ER presentations for cardiac complaints are due to cocaine use.  Plus, if you have to be followed by a cardiologist twice a year, you do not have a normal heart, so your risk is elevated that you would have a problem from taking cocaine.  

People with normal hearts have not had open-heart surgery, they do not take coumadin, and they have never met a cardiologist. Those are the people with normal hearts.  You and I, we're not in that group.
wow, am so scared to take some of the meds my dr gives me much less cocaine.  its really sad to read this there are so many heart patients out there wanting to live, doing all they can to keep their heart beating and YOU want to take cocaine and take that chance , i guess you want to die, because if you care anything about yourself and your heart you will not put yourself throught that. i pray you think about it .
If it's administered by a licensed doctor, you should be OK
I nominate hosehead for best answerer.
He should be nominated for something, not sure what though. To joke about some one considering taking cocaine for recreational use who has had three bypass surgeries and is taking blood thinners is just a little reckless.

Takes all kinds I guess........................
What hosehead states is true.  I do not see the harm in his comment, nor is it by any means idiotic.  Bashalee could follow the advice and be fine.  Cocaine has its medical uses.  For instance, if Bashalee were to need eye surgery, then he might require pharmaceutical cocaine.  Otherwise, the use of cocaine, particularly for recreational purposes and particularly by someone who has a heart problem, is inappropriate and dangerous.  The point has been stated many times, many ways, and by numerous responders on this thread.  Now, let me go see if there is a South Park episode on that I can watch.
I recently had sexual intercourse with my partner and I suspect that he has been using cocain.  Could having sex with him make my inr levels go up
You really need to think about the people that love you & how hurt they would be if you died from doing something so stupid!!! Please, think of them. This would torment them for the rest of their life & they would miss you so much til the day they died. Believe me....I know
P.S.  Bashalee,  My angel was playing in a pool tournement & had been drinking all day. He had a headache & somone gave him something for it. He came home & was fine, not even drunk anymore, but he never woke up. We found out what someone gave him was a 1/4th methodone!Very small dose. He had never taken anything like this before & we know that he wouldn't have if he was sober, or did they tell him it was something else?  My angel didn't get a second chance. He was so loved, had so much talent. He's so missed....
Please understand that you don't take chances with your life.