Prevention of a-fib and arrythmia
Are there any supplements or foods to eat that may prevent a-fib and arrythmias?

If I may share this, I know that I once was told to eat salmon twice a week and apples.  But not necessarily together as the taste might be disgusting.  I did lots of the apple eating and was sure to eat the salmon.  Yes, it did improve!  They even went away for a very long time.  So does anyone else know of anything to do?  I will try it as long as it is safe.  Also wanted to share my findings on the salmon and apples experiment.  It did really work!

lanakaye
I try to eat clean most of the time, and it improves my arrhythmia. Whole grains, lean meat, no sugar, fruit and veggies, just this past week I have cheated a few times and my heart has been acting up.  I am starting clean ( eating)again tomorrow!  
Is a-fib mostly caused by foods you eat?
do u think possibly that food enzymes that help break down food could help a-fib and arrythmias?  i wonder about that...because my palps and heart races are very bad while my digestive system is trying to break down food like potatoes, raw veg. and breads...and enzymes help you break them down...maybe i'ii try enzymes and see if it helps...u never know
I think that salmon helps, too - I take fish oil supplements and eat salmon pretty frequently.  It may have made some helpful difference.  I've also heard of the apple thing, too.
I wonder about the fish oil thing as well.  I am allergic to everythng from the water -- no kidding.  Both river and ocean fish.  So I have NO Omega 3 or whatever else fish gives you in my system.   I often wonder if that play s a part in my arrythmia.
There are known triggers to a-fib,  caffeine and alcohol being the most common.  Of course intolerance to some foods may be another, but when it comes to our health, speculation and individual testimonials need to be considered cautiously.  Unfortunately, there are too few good scientific studies to  give us the accurate information we need.
I would think a scientific study would not be necessary.  Start a food diary, keep it up to date.  Note when you feel the arrythmias and check it against the food diary.  That should tell you if and what food triggers your problem.  Not only that, it could help with diet as some people are not totally aware of how much or what they put in the mouth.
I have also heard that it is not good to get your system too acidic.  So that could be the problem?  A nurse who was on duty when I went into a-fib told me that she thinks it is the preservatives in the food. I had eaten a pre-prepared noodle and spice mix that you add hamburger to  that night. Interesting.  I will probably never do that again.  I may also tell you that many ACE inhibitors and ARBS for blood pressure control warn you not to use salt substitutes and they are in many of the healthy prepared foods that we buy in the form of potassium chloride.  Also aspartame in diet foods has been linked to these things by some.

Maybe we can all help each other to eliminate possible causes.  I think that stress still makes one more susceptible and adding the other causes does not help during those times.

lanakaye
Do you mean that fruits and vegetables are a problem also?

lanakaye

Thanks for your response.  Read also my response to nickgirl28.

lanakaye
Right we can watch our own reactions and notice what we are doing , have eaten and what stress we have had on a given day.

lanakaye

I can tell you that mine is worse when I eat too much, I think that volume eating affects it. How about Cheese?? anyone have problems from cheese?
I had eaten mac and cheese at lunch the day that I went into a-fib.  that evening I had eaten a box mix that you add to hamburger.  A nurse who took care of me said she believes that the preservatives in our food causes much of it.

lanakaye
I had eaten macaroni and cheese the day I went into a -fib.  Had never had a problem before. Also had eaten a box mix that you combine with hamburger that evening.    Had never had a problem before, but not sure.  A nurse who took care of me said that she believed it is the preservaives in our food that is causing most of this.  

lanakaye
I see the recommendations to eat fish all the time, but what about people such as my self who are allergic to sea foods? I have AFib, and lately when I eat anything I have to put sugar on, my ticker starts freaking out and goes into Afib... ugh :-(